Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Rearranging my sewing space >

Rearranging my sewing space

Rearranging my sewing space

Old 12-29-2014, 09:12 AM

going down to my room later today to start the re-organizing. probably won't get very far as something always grabs my attention! lol
Old 12-29-2014, 09:30 AM

Probably 4 times a year, whenever I get the bright idea that somehow a different configuration will make the room larger. It never does but I never give up, lol! It is truly amazing how many ways you can rearrange a 12 x 12 room crammed with sewing equipment and cutting table. Best of luck to you, you'll probably find things you have been searching for and get the hidden dust balls up. I consolidate myself with that, so all is not lost in all that work!
Old 12-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

I'm like this too Michellesews, and think the only way I can create space out of thin air is to purge....but what do I live without is always my question......
Old 12-29-2014, 10:45 AM

Stitchit123, I can totally relate to your issue. I have a spare bedroom that I've been using as my sewing room, and I've reconfigured the darned room about six times... still cannot get comfortable with the setup. What I've always wanted to do is move my sewing machines downstairs to the living room/kitchen area, and on this past four-day (for me) weekend, I started the process of moving stuff up and down. It's a nightmare right now! Everything is a mess and nothing is fitting like I imagined it would. But I'm past the point of turning the whole thing back around again so I will keep working on it, hoping that something turns out okay. Guess I'm just venting here, but wanted you to know that being unsatisfied with your sewing area... you're not alone!
Old 12-29-2014, 12:06 PM

I'm doing this today. I sew in our master bedroom. We are blessed with a large room and the wind o w area is set in about 18 inches,so extra room there too. I had my cutting table in there by the window, and my sewing table at an angle, on the other wall. I've switched them, hoping to maybe free up some room to work. I have a bad habit of filling any open space, and I need to stop doing that and get organised. Hah! At 50 years old, I'm not too sure that this old dog can learn to be organised. But I will look keep trying.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:42 PM

I got a new long arm last April. 3 book cases, my serger table and 2 smaller tables I had for smaller machines my grandchildren use to sew on had to leave the room. My Mom wasn't happy with where her Sewing machine was so I moved it to where mine was. Things just don't seem to fit right. My room is 16 x 18. There was actually more in it before the long arm but somehow everything fit. I love my long arm. Eventually I will get the rest of the room so everything is happy together.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:11 PM

The electricity for my machine and lights comes up through a hole to the basment, in the middle of the room. My table was built right on top of it so everything basically stays where it is. There are some built in cabinets too.
It's probably just as well, if I moved the furniture I'd have to move the mountains of stuff built on top of them!

I have never been much of a furniture mover thouigh I know some people like the variety. When we added on to our house I actully had pieces of paper, that designated furniture, to use so that in the end, each room was designed so that the furniture went a certain way. There's actually an outlet in the floor of our family room for a lamp.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

For me it is an never ending job...I guess I must be a slob because my room is a mess often...
Old 12-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

I just rearranged mine 2 weeks ago. I do it every 4 to 6 months. I do sweep, dust etc in between but find it amazing what gets caught in nooks and crannies. The bad part is when I move, clean and organize .... I can't find things!!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:51 AM

Sounds like we're all in this together! I've been avoiding my sewing room since 12/23! I know once I get in there I Must proceed to organize! Ha Ha Ha that's a pipe dream if ever there was one!

Good luck on the move - we've made 2 1,300 moves in the past 3 years. Pack it tight and do not buy moving boxes anywhere but a moving company! All the rest are too flimsy-ask me how I know! Happy Trails