Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Scraps-organized!  D4P - I Spy quilt >

Scraps-organized! D4P - I Spy quilt

Scraps-organized! D4P - I Spy quilt

Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 AM

Good idea, I started cutting mine correctly, I should say my newest scraps. Still haven't gone "back" into history to fix those.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 AM

Boy! Do I need to do something with mine! I have four large drawers and several baskets full of scraps smaller that a fat quarter. Some of them still have batting on the back, and I need to make 2.5" strips from those. It's hard for me to find the time. There are always other chores I need to do. I did start last year, and one of the baskets is sorted into 1 gallon bags. Since that time, I've discovered 2 gallon plastic bags!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 AM

I read the scrap saver ideas. I wanted to make quilt tops of the scrap. I had lots and I cut it into small square blocks to make 16 patches. Strips if 13 inches long I save for strip quilt. I had to work it down for moving. I made 16 patch blocks and tried to put 16 kinds in each block. I saved back any thing 1/4 yard up. I tossed out all the scrap left from that cutting as too small for me to use. . I thought I had it all cut up but I found some more upstairs. I have no idea what DIL marked the boxes of material she packed for me. I had been sorting to type and labeling the boxes. I would guess she marked material. I had at least 3 big boxes of material up stairs be side 2 or 3 boxes of scrap. I am not sure it is worth the cost to move it. DIL goes and packs when I am here. But material is getting so high. Like I think it was Bonnie Hunter that said we had paid good money for those scraps too. I have been happy with what I cut that way. I cut and boxed the little blocks and sewed lots in the quilt blocks. I just had a scrap of this and that. Boy did my light bill go up when I ironed scrap and small remanets.

Polly, it can be done as I think I sure had that many bags/boxes of scrap. Boy did I cut and sew. Now doing the blockes in to quilts. I did get five quilts done last year. 4 were 16 patch. I have only did one top this year and have another layed out to put the strips in. This one has gone faster. Got to be a method to this madness. I will get rest of material moved here this summer. I just chose a quilt pattern I can do and use scrap.

I am hoping I will not have to resort all the material DIL packs.