Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sewing box recommendations

Blog Entries
    I've used a tool box, best thing i found. I don't think they make the sewing boxes anymore. about 20 yrs ago, i worked in a fabric store. we had them then and they were very pricey. back then about $30. People wanted them but they felt the price was prohibitive.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Try Good will store or Salvation Army I bought one a few months ago and only paid $2.00 for it.

recommendations for a sewing box

I bought a box at Joann's, in the jewelry dept. It has a tray on the top. No small compartments. Don't remember the price, but it was either on sale or I had a coupon. http://www.joann.com/storage-box-16-...opCraftStorage
    Last edited by jhoward; 03-20-2017 at 04:59 AM. Reason: add a link

Oh my gosh, after reading this thread I just had to take a look at eBay...they have a box exactly the same as the one I started with as a kid! It's brown plastic that looks like wicker. I had forgotten all about that box... it's a great memory! Hope you find one that is to your liking.

Check ebay, you might find one there that will be just what you want.

I had one of those same boxes. I've seen them at thrift stores and sometimes at the free table at quilt guild meetings or the guild's resale tables at their quilt shows. I'm sure they are to be found at yard sales as well. I know there are new, improved things that could work for you, but if you desire, the old tried and true are still out there!

I bought a craft case from Joann. It has a top area and you pull down the cover on the front and you have 3 plastic case you can pull out. They come in 3 sizes. I really like mine as I can organize every thing.

I use a fishing tackle box for my regular sewing stuff. I just bought several Alex cabinets on wheels from Ikea for my quilting storage (i.e. rulers, cutters). I also have some Kallax units for holding my thread, Mettler TA spray, Best Press, and precuts.

I'm with you. My sewing box just like you described broke a few years ago. Since then I use a smallish tool box I got at Home Depot.

These plastic boxes sound great! I'm looking for something small to carry handwork in: small scissors, thimble, spool of thread, embroidery thread and clips. I bought a cheapy plastic container at Michales, it's nice and small, but the spool of thread doesn't fit!
    Kristi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast