Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Sewing machine table ideas >

Sewing machine table ideas

Sewing machine table ideas

Old 03-31-2016, 06:06 AM

Default Sewing machine table ideas

Hi all,
A friend has offered to make me a new sewing table and I would love your ideas and photos. I have scoured the site already!

I have about 6 feet by 2.5 feet to work with and it is a rented condo so no built ins. I have a Juki 2010 and a Pfaff hobby. I would like one drop down to accommodate both machines at different times. I only need one machine dropped at any time, but want both machines on the table. I read here that someone had a glass company make a plexiglass insert and that seems like a good idea for the smaller machine. I would like the hole to be filled if I am doing crafts. I have a dedicated cutting station and only need this for my machines.

Ideas and photos would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

I would check out some of the different sewing tables on line and go from there. My DH made me a desk top. It's just a top and is 5'x 2'. I have a file cabinet at each end. it is very sturdy. You state you have "about" 6'x 2.5' to work with. Is that total space size for the table top or total space for it to be placed in? Either way, that's a lot of space to be able to sew/craft on. By making just a top and using a couple cabinets as the bases, you would be creating extra storage space and it would be easy to move/transport. Just for the heck of it, one day I brought my Singer portable in to see if it jiggled or not. It was great and you can adjust the height. Of course I don't have a hole in it but that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:40 AM

Make sure that you get it made so it is at an ergonomically correct height for you when your machine is dropped in. If you are shorter than average , then the standard working height of 29-30" (when machine bed is level with table surface) may be a little too high and will cause neck and shoulder pain. I made a small table using metal legs that are adjustable in 1" increments to hold my PQ1500s and it's extension table, then I butted them up in the ell between two height adjustable folding tables which gave me good support to the left of and behind my machine for quilting large quilts.

Rob
Old 03-31-2016, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Check out EB video on her website. She did a TV show taking a simple kitchen table and cutting an insert for her machine to sit in.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Barbpr View Post
Hi all,
A friend has offered to make me a new sewing table and I would love your ideas and photos. I have scoured the site already!

I have about 6 feet by 2.5 feet to work with and it is a rented condo so no built ins. I have a Juki 2010 and a Pfaff hobby. I would like one drop down to accommodate both machines at different times. I only need one machine dropped at any time, but want both machines on the table. I read here that someone had a glass company make a plexiglass insert and that seems like a good idea for the smaller machine. I would like the hole to be filled if I am doing crafts. I have a dedicated cutting station and only need this for my machines.

Ideas and photos would be appreciated. Thanks.
If you have pictures of your space and your machines, it would help. I made cabinets for three of my machines. If you are building a table I'd suggest making it lower than you want, so you can add casters. PM me if you like, and I will give you my email address. Jan
Old 04-04-2016, 12:44 PM

Thanks for ideas and tips.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:28 PM

Default My sewing table

My husband made this 4ft by 6 ft table with 3 drawers on the left and a cut out for my machine. He is going to add a shelf along the back side for my batting storage. I just love the table. Now I need to take down the wall & expand my sewing room...
Attached Thumbnails quilt-table-007.jpg   quilt-table-005.jpg  
Old 04-10-2016, 03:07 AM

Very nice Mollybug. Would love to see the batting shelf.

I have my batting stored on a wire shelf, down about maybe 18" from the ceiling. I think its called ventilated shelving-the type used in closets. I have it around three sides of the room and its hung so the bottom is level with the door and window casings. I store batting, Insulbrite, and clear plastic shoe boxes of holiday fabrics, etc. there. I'm short so I keep a low stool in there, so I can reach anything in a small tub, and also have one of those grabber tools which I use to pull down bagged battings. Sure makes lots of extra storage space that was otherwise wasted space.

I forgot to say, I hung part of the shelving with the lip up and one section is hung with the lip down. The up side keeps bags from rolling off and the side with the lip facing down makes it easy to slide the plastic containers off when I need them. I also have sets of blocks, UFOs and WIPS in pizza boxes stored up there.

Last edited by Just Jan; 04-10-2016 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:13 AM

Smile Thanks

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
Very nice Mollybug. Would love to see the batting shelf.

I have my batting stored on a wire shelf, down about maybe 18" from the ceiling. I think its called ventilated shelving-the type used in closets. I have it around three sides of the room and its hung so the bottom is level with the door and window casings. I store batting, Insulbrite, and clear plastic shoe boxes of holiday fabrics, etc. there. I'm short so I keep a low stool in there, so I can reach anything in a small tub, and also have one of those grabber tools which I use to pull down bagged battings. Sure makes lots of extra storage space that was otherwise wasted space.

I forgot to say, I hung part of the shelving with the lip up and one section is hung with the lip down. The up side keeps bags from rolling off and the side with the lip facing down makes it easy to slide the plastic containers off when I need them. I also have sets of blocks, UFOs and WIPS in pizza boxes stored up there.

Thanks and great idea about the shelving. I will repost pics when sewing table has new shelf on.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:42 PM

You might check out Margarita McManus's method for building a sewing table.. I've attached a link to this message.. only need to scroll down to see the videos about making it.. I have one of these setups for my Juki at my own home, plus another for when I'm at my son's.. Works great for me!

Blog Entries
Feedback Score
6 (100%)

Several have asked me how we made my sewing table... We used Margarita McManus' tutorial for it, and I LOVE it... She has several tutes on getting things set up correctly for better sewing and quilting, and I thought I should post a link for them....

http://www.squidoo.com/sewingtable