Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Should I just make my dining room into my sewing room? >

Should I just make my dining room into my sewing room?

Should I just make my dining room into my sewing room?

Old 07-04-2015, 08:48 AM

I turned our whole living room into a secondary quilt room. My house, I paid for it, and being eccentric is nothing new
Aren't we old enough to not give a hoot what 'someone' might think?

As noted about, I'm better about tidying up. I don't want to walk into a disaster, that would be a real downer.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:22 AM

Many years ago we added a family room to the back of our small ranch style home. The original living room then became a gathering room for the kids and grandkids when they were doing something noisy. When my Dad passed away, Mom came to live with us. That front room then became her room. It was perfect for that purpose. Well Mom passed 2 months ago and my husband insists now that I make that room MY room, for sewing, scrapbooking or whatever I want. All my sewing and crafting supplies are in there now and with my tv there the grandkids can still play the Wii or watch DVDs. I can even do my walking with the Wii Fit or play walking DVDs. I know that I am blessed! The room has a sleeper sofa so it can be a guest room when needed. I just hang a quilt across the doorway for privacy.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:54 AM

I say who cares its your house, if they have a problem with your dining room then don't come over. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

My neighbor uses her dining room as her sewing room and still has her family over for the holidays. The dining room table is her cutting table. Her leaves pull out from the end to about 8 feet. She uses the center with the 2 cutting mats she has. Her sewing machines are in cabinets. She puts the machines down when she has a big dinner. Her Dh fixed large flat boards with hangers so she can hang her cutting mats and store behind one of her hutches. Her side buffet has some of her stash in it. She has a couple hutches with chests in the bottom for more stash. She stores some of her knick knacks with her china. She has 3 machines in her dining room. One of her hutches is built in and has more stash. If you were to look closely you would see what looks like a decorative photo album is full of patterns. Her dining room is a multi-task room very well put together. Her DH loves to do paint by number. He puts a large flannel back tablecloth on the table. Their house is not that big, only abut 1000 square feet. The one guest bedroom has a Murphy bed and room for a fold out bunk they saw on a commercial; looks like a sofa. The other bedroom has her longarm in it. She doesn't do for others outside family. She keeps a very tidy house when she needs to. She says if all else fails, she grabs a large laundry hamper if company comes.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:41 PM

I say go for it, your house, your stuff your use. I used my dining room for years before I ever had a sewing room. Who cares who sees it, they should be happy you are enjoying your time in your house.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:43 PM

My dining / family room is my sewing room. My hubby says as long as there is room for our dinner plates "who cares" also that is the best sewing room in our town. My grandies love it when I am sewing, so much that now two of them want to learn how to sew. So far we have made very simple dolly quilts. They always ask if they can have a sleep over and do some sewing. I say go for it its your house and others can just fit in.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:40 PM

My kid just moved out and I'm moving my sewing room into the living room. Why have a big room I don't use when I can use it for what I do the most? I'm always in my sewing room anyway, why not have the space I need?
Old 07-05-2015, 04:20 AM

I have a very small house and my sewing room and stash is every where. lol My husband passed away in 2013 and I have been thinking about taking the living room to make it my sewing room. I am 68 and really don't care what people think about my sewing stuff. Most days the sewing is what keeps me sane. lol
Old 07-05-2015, 05:43 AM

Only you and the others that you share your house with can make this decision. Yes, others have converted their living rooms and dining rooms into sewing rooms but that does not mean this is the right decision for you. For me, my dining room is my temporary sewing room. Any time this room is needed (every week or so), I pack away my sewing stuff and it is once again a dining room. This is not ideal but it for us.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:27 AM

I have a small bedroom for my sewing room. I want to make the Master bedroom into my sewing room, and have our bedroom in the smaller one. I just have to convince my husband that it would be better for all (both) of us.