Slanted walls

Old 08-15-2015, 08:13 AM

Default Slanted walls

I have 3 slanted walls in my sewing room. I hate to have them as wasted space. Any ideas on what I could do with this space?

Thanks,
Old 08-15-2015, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

Dependson how slanted the walls are. A Badmintim net or similar tacked to the wall could hold light bulky things like quilt batts? A large board with batt or flannel could be a work in progress wall. Mailing tubes fastened to the wall could hold rolls of fusible web or interfacing.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the ideas Tartan! I like the mailing tube idea.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

My friend put her design wall up on an slanted wall. With flannel, the blocks stayed in place.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:57 PM

I thought of that Maniacquilter. Thanks for confirming my blocks will not go flying.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:58 PM

My bedroom growing up had the sloping ceiling. When I left home my parents put book shelves on the main wall and each shelf went to the edge so they were different lengths. (We don't have the house any more so I can't take a picture.) The ceiling sloped to about 4 feet, so my dad took the measurement and had a cabinet made to hold his watercolor paper. He had it made to it fit up against the back wall and it was deep enough so you didn't bump your head getting into the drawers. (A friend that collects maps has it now and it is great for holding maps that are stored flat.)

I was watching a show on HGT when they had a sloping ceiling and they made it into a short closet and storage area. It shortened the room but it made a nice storage area.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

Great idea quiltingcandy...and the doors on the closet. (I'm thinking double hinged ones not bi fold) could easily become a design wall using 2 vinyl backed table cloths (inexpensive).

It depends on how permanent the refit would be...if not wanting structural changes one could get adjustable wire shelving in 12 or 18" depths attaching the standards to the studs in the wall..or get short bookcases to fit under the slopes.

In a previous house I had a sewing room with sloping ceilings. The straight wall was less than 3' before sloping and was very claustrophobic for me...only had a small window which added to the closeness. Good luck...
Old 08-15-2015, 09:22 PM

I to have an attic room with the ceiling going from seven feet down to four. with the four foot wall open where I stack boxes of fabric by color.. In front of them I have the white plastic 3 drawer dressers. On the ceiling I have hooks and have hung shelves at different levels, over my work table and along the walls. The back of the wall shelves touch the wall, making them steady. Be gentle.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Great idea quiltingcandy...and the doors on the closet. (I'm thinking double hinged ones not bi fold) could easily become a design wall using 2 vinyl backed table cloths (inexpensive).

It depends on how permanent the refit would be...if not wanting structural changes one could get adjustable wire shelving in 12 or 18" depths attaching the standards to the studs in the wall..or get short bookcases to fit under the slopes.

In a previous house I had a sewing room with sloping ceilings. The straight wall was less than 3' before sloping and was very claustrophobic for me...only had a small window which added to the closeness. Good luck...
I love this idea, I am just not that handy. Maybe I will learn

I have 2 windows that keep the room very bright so I don't think I will get to claustrophobic. My last sewing room was 18X20 and only 1 window I felt more claustrophobic in there then I do here. Luckily my roommate is letting me take over a loft so it feels very open.

Last edited by nikki128; 08-16-2015 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:09 AM

I live in an A-frame so deal with this problem in every room. In the quilt room we used the white wire shelving units from do-it-yourself stores and attached them upside down in the closets for stash and over the machine area for all the bits and bobs I need there. . Perfect.