Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Storing fabric

Storing fabric

Wher my dauchter an I go fabric shopping we ask the workers for the cardboard that held the fabric while it was on the shelf. You can usually find several on sale days. We don't take the flimsy ones. We ask for the ones that are reenforced. After we get then home we use a seriated knife to cut them tlength we need.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    i use them too but leave them as is- I use them for any pieces that are 3+ yards .. anything less than than up to a yard gets ruler folded..

Works well for me..

I use the cardboard that ric-rac, lace and braid are on in the store. Fold the fabric in half and wrap it around, fits nicely on my shelves and looks like a mini bolt of fabric.
    A Quilters fun is never done!

I get the old cardboard bolts from my LQS. I usually cut them in half to accomodate smaller cuts, but will keep them full size for things like backing, muslin, etc.

Anita in Northfield, MN

Great idea!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I ruler fold my fabric as well and then put in cubicals my son built for me on one wall in one of my sewing rooms. Then I have my other fabric in plastic drawer chests and all my fat quarters in these drawer chests as well.

What is a ruler fold?

I use them also. Like true quilters, always recycling.
    Country 1

I ruler fold my fabrics. The smaller pieces (1y17" and smaller) was folded on the ruler, then folded in thirds and stored in my Fabrics drawer. For the larger pieces (1y18" and larger) they are folded on a homemade 12" plexiglass 'ruler' and then hung from pants hangers in the closet of my sewing room. If anyone is interested, I can post pictures.
    Jane
    Physically in Maryland but heart is in Indianapolis.

Rescued Boxers are adoptable love. Please consider a homeless/rescued pet when adding to your family.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhboxers View Post
    I ruler fold my fabrics. The smaller pieces (1y17" and smaller) was folded on the ruler, then folded in thirds and stored in my Fabrics drawer. For the larger pieces (1y18" and larger) they are folded on a homemade 12" plexiglass 'ruler' and then hung from pants hangers in the closet of my sewing room. If anyone is interested, I can post pictures.
    I would like to see your system so please post pictures. Also would like to see a ruler fold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast