Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Storing Folded Fabric Question >

Storing Folded Fabric Question

Storing Folded Fabric Question

Old 10-12-2014, 09:53 PM

Default Storing Folded Fabric Question

I would like to reorganize my fabrics by folding them as I now have tons of plastic bins taking up a lot of space. I don't have time to sew much, so I am worried about dust because the fabric would be on shelves of open book cases. I could put a fabric drape over it , I suppose. What do some of you do? Thank you ahead for any ideas . Also, there was a tutorial awhile ago about using small cardboard to fold fabric. Does anyone remember it? Thanks so much.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:49 AM

I have my fabric folded on shelves inside the closet and dust isn't an issue. Pieces 1 yard and up I wrap on the cardboard comic book boards. Pieces over 1/4 yard I ruler fold. FQs and scraps I have in clear plastic bins.

To fold, I lay the fabric out as it's folded on the bolt. Fold in half again so the fold and selvedges meet, wrap on the board (or ruler fold). I use a 4" ruler on the smaller pieces. You don't NEED the boards, you could just ruler fold all of it. I'd use a larger ruler for larger pieces. Maybe a 6-8" or so.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

I folded mine on a 6" ruler, smoothed and tried to keep the ends even. Some larger ones I folded like on the bolts then folded in half - cut end to cut end. Then rolled with the ruler, looks like bolts. Smaller yardage I folded in half, like on the bolt, then folded in half again, then used the ruler. Looks like smaller bolts. I lay these stacked on wire shelves in a closet with doors.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Alaskasunshine did the QB tutorial on mini bolts. If you can't see it in the 4 pages of Tutorials go to the very bottom of QB and click on the little title Archives. All the Tutorial ever done should be there. I have my stash on mini bolts in my cupboard and they are great.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

My stash is on comic boards and folded in clear plastic with exception to the much smaller scraps. My comic board and some larger fabrics (on bolts) sit on shelves out in the open. I have an old but pretty table cloths folded neatly length wise that cover my fabric when not in use.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:36 AM

My fabric is ruler folded(4 inch) and put into drawers, depending on the background color. Since your fabric is going on open book cases, instead of a fabric drape over the book case, I think it would keep the dust of better if you covered the shelves individually.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:44 PM

Because of dust and dog hair mine are stored in clear plastic bins, easy to see what is in there much of the time and when it get some out and "play" with it i refold it. House is air conditioned so not really humid, but lots of sugar sand dust.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:12 PM

Thank you all for the great advice and for the information on the tutorials. I will for sure check them out. I had totally forgotten that the cardboard used by some of you is from comic books. Can I just go to a comic book store and ask for it? I will try the ruler method many of you have mentioned. Thanks again!!!! This board is the greatest!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

i have my fabrics folded on open shelving, but I have a sheet over the shelves.
I am going to refold and use tin foil over cardboard as i have a 90's book
that says tin foil doesn't hurt fabrics.
Refolding keeps creases from setting in.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:43 PM

Most of my fabric is folded and organized by color in a dresser drawer, front to back. When there's plenty of fabric in there, they stay neat w/o a bin. When the pile of one color gets small,I put the fabric in plastic shoeboxes in the drawer.

I aslo buy sheet of styrofoam at the dollar store and cut (with rotary) into 9x12 pieces with a narrow piece left over.
I wrap yardage around the 9x12 pieces and line them up like books on the shelves. Dust hasn't seem to bother them when they're snuggled up next to each other.