Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Storing sewing machine needles >

Storing sewing machine needles

Storing sewing machine needles

Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Y'all must have a lot of needles! A few old peppermint tins would hold all mine. And because I have nothing better to do, I could decorate them.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:52 AM

I use the Gerber Baby food plastic containers. They not only fit the needles but I can write the needle size on the cover. At a quick glance I can tell which size I am getting low on.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:11 AM

I have a plastic box with dividers that I got at Harbor Freight. It was very inexpensive. They carry many different size plastic boxes. Much more reasonable than the plastic boxes at fabric stores.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy View Post
Oversized weekly pill containers are perfect size to hold needles of various types you can label each day with size
This is what I do as well...also works for machine feet!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 AM

They have boxes in pait/hardware depart at WM and also in fishing tackle, have feet and needles each in one. With top keeps dust down in them too.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 AM

Quite a while back I purchased Q-tips in a divided plastic box. Now it holds my extra sewing needles all together but divided by size and type.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM

I have a small plastic box in one of the drawers of my sewing machine cabinet. Like sized packages are rubber banded together. I have one open package of each of the sizes in one corner. I keep the current package of the needle in the machine, to the right of my machine, then I know at a glance what size needle I've got in there.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 PM

I store all my machine needles in a tin box.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:25 PM

I bought (at JoAnns) what looks like a very large pill holder...the kind with several compartments in a row that are for each day of the week. Just look for it in their storage container department. I LOVE it. Be sure each "door" to each section is wide enough for one of the cards of needles. I can actually fit three cards into each section. I have each type of needle in a different section (universal, top stitch etc.). Also, when I put a needle into my machine, I use one of those tiny pony tail holders around the container to remind me what type of needle is in the machine. Since I have two machines, I use two different colors of pony tail bands...Pink for my Pfaff...and Blue for my Brother! It has saved me a lot of confusion trying to remember what needle is in what machine. The container also fits in the side pocket of my wheeled cart that I take to my LQS when I take classes or go to worker bees, wouldn't be without it!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 PM

I do the same as QuiltE. All my needles are in little plastic cases and those cases are stacking like order in the plastic container with dividers. You can buy them at JoAnns and many other places.