Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Suggestion to organize this? >

Suggestion to organize this?

Suggestion to organize this?

Old 09-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

One suggestion I have read about organizing is don't buy containers until you know how much of what you will be containing. And that the containers will fit in your space.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:10 AM

20 minutes at a time, set your timer, take a break, then go back and set timer for another 20 minutes. It didn't get that way overnight and it will take small increments of time so you don't feel overwhelmed.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:11 PM

Barb - are you serious? We live very close to each other and I would gladly pay you in whichever denominations you would take, Cindy
Originally Posted by bjrusty View Post
Oh dear, Let someone else do the work, me, and pay me with material. lol Barb
Old 09-15-2013, 05:56 PM

Great ideas from all of you. At first I thought she had come to my house and taken the picture. Now I will
use some of your great ideas to get my mess in order; I can't do it all in one day!!! Good Luck!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:46 AM

When I move into my larger room I'm going to get the totes (that I normally don't like to use) that stack on top of each other but, they open on the side so that you don't have to unstack them to get to what you want. The side lids are see thru and like I said you can stack them but still have easy access. Right now I love my system, I have the cube bookcases from Walmarts stacked 2 high and I have 4 so that gives me 36 cubes, some I have the canvas cube totes in and some not. If I put projects into the canvas totes then I take a picture and pin it to the outside so that I can see easily whats inside and not forget about it. I have a tall bookcase like from Office Max and then took one of the removeable shelves out and went to Lowes and had more shelves made the same size (very cheap) then added them to the bookcase. This allowed me to have shorter stacks of folded fabric and color sort better. I do not do the ruler fold I just figured out what was the best size for the shelves and then it was easy to figure out a way to fold them all so they were neat. It was so great getting my fabric out of totes because I never realized how much I had so now I buy very little fabric. Now I don't have bolts of fabric but what I have makes me happy
Old 09-16-2013, 07:37 AM

Great Ideas Ladies!!!! I promise to show a progress photo as I go here. The pile is still there. I do have my quilts to be quilted hanging up so that I know what needs to be done. I have picking thru the stack of batting there and using it up. I just can't let that stuff go to waste. I really do need to get my yardage pieces out of there so I can then see just the scraps. I have taken what I know to be projects and put them into seperate containers and bags. The WIPs and UFOs are all together now into containers so they can be finished up. I am up close to 10 UFOs again and 30 or so WIPs. I have to quit pulling fabric for projects to do.
Now to get these on their way. I told DH that I should just sit down and start sewing them together without worrying about color and perfection, just get them into a crazy scrap quilt and call it good. I know I have muslin squares that I keep in a pile when I use muslin for foundations for jackets. Then I could get some headway on what is actual yardage, fat quarter size scraps, and larger pieces for appliques. I may also make a couple bins and cut up to 5" squares and 2.5" squares. Those are some adequate sizes. I do have bins of 1" squares started, I should put those pieces in them as well. I know insane on the 1" squares, but they are fun to see sewn up.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:38 AM

I do have the brown bags out and ready to sort as i go by.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
When I move into my larger room I'm going to get the totes (that I normally don't like to use) that stack on top of each other but, they open on the side so that you don't have to unstack them to get to what you want. The side lids are see thru and like I said you can stack them but still have easy access. Right now I love my system, I have the cube bookcases from Walmarts stacked 2 high and I have 4 so that gives me 36 cubes, some I have the canvas cube totes in and some not. If I put projects into the canvas totes then I take a picture and pin it to the outside so that I can see easily whats inside and not forget about it. I have a tall bookcase like from Office Max and then took one of the removeable shelves out and went to Lowes and had more shelves made the same size (very cheap) then added them to the bookcase. This allowed me to have shorter stacks of folded fabric and color sort better. I do not do the ruler fold I just figured out what was the best size for the shelves and then it was easy to figure out a way to fold them all so they were neat. It was so great getting my fabric out of totes because I never realized how much I had so now I buy very little fabric. Now I don't have bolts of fabric but what I have makes me happy
They have totes that open on the side? Wow!! I did not know that. My office is horrible. I run my antique business from there plus teach my online courses in there. Just a tiny path to get to my desk. My mess is spilling over into guest bedroom. I have to get it under control!! Will have to get some of those totes!!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:26 AM

purchase same size clear tubs, line them up on floor, pick up fabrics and sort by method of your choice. Maybe color, pattern or groups for a certain project. Whatever works for you...then use index cards for labels and put them inside tub and stack them so labels show. I do not recommend taping labels..that way you can reuse/recycle tubs when you need to do so. Have fun, take your time...don't expect to do it all in one day...I have mine sorted several ways: civil war, polka dots, backings, solids, batiks, aunt gracie, patriotic, western, floral..and by Edyita Sitar, Jason Yenter etc. Remember to have fun!!! Good Luck..
Old 09-17-2013, 12:29 PM

I do have a cupboard just for Buggy Barn/Civil War fabrics set aside already. Those are not mixed up in this pile, just in a pile by itself and I have several projects on want list there.
I have all my WIPs in a cupboard so they are not mixed in here either.
Fun seems to be what I am missing out on lately. I need more of that so I can get thru this pile! I do have clear tubs, think I am going to have to just put what I know as specific colors/tone on tones etc., in those, then with the rest decide what color family they best fit. Maybe keep the smaller pieces in one big tub so I can just make mini crazy patch squares. Then with those squares I can do my fancy stitches on machine when I dont' want to focus on anything and make it a WIP that way I can clean up those smaller pieces.