Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
SURVEY for COMIC BOARD users >

SURVEY for COMIC BOARD users

SURVEY for COMIC BOARD users

Old 04-22-2014, 05:15 AM

I saw on here where someone else uses the old cardboard bolts from the fabric store for storage. I too do that. I usually only have around 10 fabrics at a time that I'm using for kids quilts. I usually buy in 3 yard increments. I bring it home, wash it and wrap it on the bolts. It makes it easy for cutting.
Someone mentioned cutting the cardboard bolt and getting 4. Could you elaborate on that? I'm a little dense. I've been using them full size.
SVAL
Old 04-22-2014, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmau View Post
I have to start shopping my stash-I have used 9 packs of the comic book boards and love them. I use one board and have wrapped up to 5 yards of fabric. On less than a half yard I fold and place in shoe box size plastic boxes.
WOW quiltmau! 9 packs of 100 = 900 pieces of fabric not counting the "less than half yards you fold'. That's a whole lotta fabric!! Can we come shop???
Old 04-23-2014, 05:55 AM

I just bought a truckload of comic book boards and am working on getting all my fabric wrapped up. I'm actually really enjoying the process, it's nice to revisit my entire stash.

I have a lot of half-yard cuts, those just barely wrap around but they do, so I'm using boards for those.

I've even been putting fat quarters on the boards. Those REALLY just barely wrap, but I have only a few random FQ's so I don't want to come up with a whole separate storage method, I want them in with the rest of the fabric. But I'm thinking of maybe chopping the boards in half so the fabric wraps up thicker (making the fabric easier to see on the shelf, and also making it very obvious it's just a FQ of fabric on the board). I need to dig out my paper cutter and do some experiments - I can't decide if I want to chop them horizontally (short & squat) or vertically (tall & narrow).
Old 04-23-2014, 10:36 PM

I used poster board from the Dollar Tree store...actually bought a whole box at one time (has, I dunno - hundred maybe) - I then cut them to the two sizes I needed for the width of my cabinets - the llarger ones are for large amounts of fabric, and the smaller ones are from a yard up to about 3 yards.....I LOVE the way they are now, like books at the library shelf......I can get out what I need and not disturb everything else......when they were staacked, the one I wanted was always on the bottom and it messed up the whole stack to get it out.....
Old 04-24-2014, 07:29 AM

I spent time wrapping fabric on 200 boards before I ran out. I just folded the rest on a boards and then pulled out the board. I put it back on the shelves on their sides. I saw a video on how to take them off the shelf by putting a board on each side of selected fabric and then side the one out. It keeps the others from following. When I put it back, I place the fabric between the boards and slide back in. Works to keep it all organized and neat.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:11 PM

I have used the empty bolts from Hancock Fabrics, but they are too think and take up a lot of room. So, I am back to waiting on my move (to my own place..hopefully this summer) before I purchase the comic boards and do the work required to be organized!
Old 04-24-2014, 01:17 PM

Have any of use used the corrugated plastic sheets and made your own? I did this a few years ago and I think it saved me a lot. I don't know what the comic boards cost now, but you could compare. Here is a home depot link http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...6-15/202038094 it comes out to $4.60 a sheet...you can make them any size you need.

It is a little hard to cut in one of the directions...I used an old rotary blade and it was OK...but if you have arthritis in your hands it might be too hard.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
Have any of use used the corrugated plastic sheets and made your own? I did this a few years ago and I think it saved me a lot. I don't know what the comic boards cost now, but you could compare. Here is a home depot link http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...6-15/202038094 it comes out to $4.60 a sheet...you can make them any size you need.
I bought comic book boards on Amazon; I bought a 500 pack for $43.74. That comes out to about 9 cents per board. They measure 6.75 x 10.5.

$4.60 for a sheet that's 24x36...well the sizes don't come out the same but if I went for a 12x7(ish) board, which is about the closest size that would come out evenly, that means 10 boards per sheet for a cost of 46 cents per board.

So unless I'm doing math wrong, corrugated is a lot more expensive, and then there's all the work of cutting the boards. BUT I bet your corrugated will last a lot longer than my comic book boards and the boards I bought are only acid-free on one side so they're not really great for truly long-term storage. But your corrugated plastic will be entirely acid-free. So there's some benefits to the corrugated, but for what I need (about a thousand boards!), I'm sticking with the cheapies!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:51 AM

I bought comic book boards and started this. Then I realized that I had a lot of other quilting stuff and projects in bins that would not fit on regular books shelves. So I bought wardrobe cabinets from IKEA and ruler folded by fabric instead. I would love to have the fabric on end (using the comic book boards) but I share the room with my husband and he was tired of seeing bins/stacks of stuff. So I had to figure out a storage method to hide my stuff. Bookishelves (even with doors) would not have fit in my space and contained all by stuff. The shelves were to deep in the wardrobe cabinet to benefit from standing fabric on end - had to do them 2 deep which defeats the purpose of being able to see them. Maybe in another life when I get a dedicated sewing room.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:36 PM

As far as the acid free panic...The fabric to fabric contact is going to still have acid contact so don't panic about one side treatment on the comic boards. Unless you are planning to seal each individual fabric and board in an air tight container it is not going to make any difference in the long run.