Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: thank you for posting about the ruler fold method!

Thanks for the link.

I agree, the ruler fold method is awesome. I just finished my last bit of material and my fabric stash will be all organized. Mine is kept on shelves in a closet and I open the door just to look in an see my fabric, it is so inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by Passionate Quilter View Post
    I agree, the ruler fold method is awesome. I just finished my last bit of material and my fabric stash will be all organized. Mine is kept on shelves in a closet and I open the door just to look in an see my fabric, it is so inspirational.
    I agree it just makes me want to sew!

I have just finished doing this, and it's great just being able to quickly see what I have. Also it saves a lot of space over my former helter-skelter habits. I was fascinated to see that I have a disproportionate amount of red fabric. I have hardly used any in my quilts, but I must like it because I have bought plenty of it. The next quilt will definitely have some red.
    We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.
    ~ Charles Kingsley

Quote Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
    I have just finished doing this, and it's great just being able to quickly see what I have. Also it saves a lot of space over my former helter-skelter habits. I was fascinated to see that I have a disproportionate amount of red fabric. I have hardly used any in my quilts, but I must like it because I have bought plenty of it. The next quilt will definitely have some red.
    I love it! Isn't it fun to see what you actually have? I have always wished my fabric was organized like it is at the store and now it can be! YAY!

It's going to take me a while, but I am going to go thru and do this to all my fabric!

Blog Entries
    I've been slowly going thru my fabric and doing the 1-3 yard cuts using the ruler method. My LQS had and 'empty the bolt' sale and there was a JoAnn's that was moving, selling longer yardage cuts. What do you do with the larger cuts, like 5-6 yards? I tried the ruler method, but the roll was so thick that you couldn't fold it at the end. Bigger ruler? Beg empty cardboard bolts from my LQS???
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Quote Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
    Its great once you get all of your fabric out where you can see it. I didn't do the ruler method but found the best way to fold for my shelves and was amazed at the fabric I had and had forgotten about. I'll never use totes again; well under my bed are slide out totes wit lots of fleece but I know what's in them. I also went to Home Depot and had more shelves cut for my bookcase so that they weren't stacked as high and I could organize them better by color or print.
    Good idea, romanojg! I'd need to find some pegs too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I've been slowly going thru my fabric and doing the 1-3 yard cuts using the ruler method. My LQS had and 'empty the bolt' sale and there was a JoAnn's that was moving, selling longer yardage cuts. What do you do with the larger cuts, like 5-6 yards? I tried the ruler method, but the roll was so thick that you couldn't fold it at the end. Bigger ruler? Beg empty cardboard bolts from my LQS???
    I use the cardboard that fabric is sold on at Joann's. I get them totally free, because then they don't have to carry it out to the dumpster. All you have to do is ask. I cut mine into 4 pieces so I have 2 larger pieces for large yardage and 2 smaller ones for smaller pieces. they stack just great and I can see what I have. I also have left some whole because I use the them for the really large pieces of fabric.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2