Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Thanks for the ideas... >

Thanks for the ideas...

Thanks for the ideas...

Old 10-20-2012, 09:31 AM

When I began tossing out our sons' junk, they got a bit upset because they wanted the stuff. Except they didn't want it at THEIR houses. I pointed out that I don't ask them to store my quilting stuff or my old clothing or anything for that matter. And while my house is larger and fewer people live here, it's because we worked hard for it. I gave them X number of days to pick it up, or a dumpster it would meet. One son (of 3) came to claim his, but when he realized how old and how much space and work would be involved, he changed his mind. I tossed his first! The other two just dropped the subject. lol
Old 10-20-2012, 10:24 AM

This is how it happened with us. So and so moves to another city and wanted us to store some stuff for them. Ok. Then another moves from a house to a condo, and again, can you store this for a few weeks. I actually moved someone else's stuff when we moved to this house...yes I took their junk with me! One person said not to git rid of anything because they would be over in a month or two to look it over and decide what they wanted to keep. Uh, sorry, ya got 2 days. You can sort it at the curb.
I just got home from work. I am going to change my clothes, put dinner in the oven, and start. Our best friends are coming for dinner tonight, she said she would like to take all the books that were left here. She will read what she wants and donate the rest. Love her. She asked if I was taking pictures....maybe I will just to remind me of what I worked for.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:49 PM

Good for you. Years ago when my grandmother had to go in nursing home I had to distribute her stuff. People wanted me to store it, I was very firm you have 2 weekends to get what you want! I will get rid of what ever is left, no storage here. People were mad but came & got their stuff.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:07 PM

Good for you! Can't wait to see your new space!!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
It seems that for a while that everyone wanted to store their stuff. My husband let the grandkids and other family store stuff at our house, because he thought we had more room and it would not be in the way. Of course when it got so bad, I closed the door and let it go. I complained, without anyone hearing me. One day my husband said something about getting help to come in and clean, since it seemed I could not keep up. I blew up. I told him if I did not have to pick up after people who did not even live in our house, I would have no problem. Within a few minutes I pulled out several bags of junk that did not belong to either of us. It amazed him that that was even stored here. He now understands and is helping me. I threw out a dumpster full last week. What a great feeling I have. Family is not happy, but they can pick it out of the dumpster if they want it that bad. Can you imagine finding 3 old computers, and having the owner wonder why should not hold on to them, just in case he can fix them? Enjoyed tossing a monitor to see how far it would go. Storing other people's childrens outgrown clothes, in hopes another child can wear them...can you say DONATION? I hope to have this room ready to paint in about one month. I am ready to enjoy my home and my own creative space. Whooohooo!
LMAO!! I just about spit my drink all over my monitor!
Old 10-28-2012, 03:04 AM

I am glad to see that you are clearing your way to a productive sewing room even if it ruffles a few feathers at the time. But interesting enough, most of the time the stuff is not really important. When we went to DD for a visit, we put the last boxes of her "kept items" that had been stored in her childhood bedroom (which is now sewing room). She finally went through them recently (as she moved into a new home) and low and behold she consolidated all to one tote. DS was to visit last year and go through stuff but didn't. So on a trip out to visit him, I filled a suitcase with "his stuff" (flying Southwest-no fee for 2nd bag). Going in December and doing the same. Then it is time to either ship the rest-he's paying or I am tossing. His deep closet with shelves is my fabric storage and those pesty childhood boxes are in my way!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:28 PM

You go girl and tell the kids to get it out of here.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:04 PM

We are lucky that we live on a farm and have room in the barns. My house is full so nothing can come in here so the barn is the only place. So many people rent storage units and I always wonder why? Unless you have a boat or something that you can't store, why do you want to keep stuff stored elsewhere. Sell it, give it away, toss it. I took over two bedrooms when our children moved out for my sewing rooms and nobody can put anything in them. It's mine now. LOL
Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 PM

As I read this, I was thinking about how prevalent storage units are these days. They cost quite a lot - I've heard some are $80+ a month. We have had a lot of stuff stored here, too, still have closets full in a couple of bedrooms, and some boxes in the attic from our four daughters. Years ago we had a barn and ended up storing stuff for one of the boy friends and some adult friends of ours. Had to tear the barn down and ended up having to pay to have some of the junk carted away. The BF left some old kitchen chairs (I hear he lives in Michigan now. LOL) I painted them to match my kitchen and threw out the ones that were broken. Funny how many folks have the same experience. We also had one "boomerang" - she went away, she came back, she went away, she came back. Also some of their friends stayed here short term off and on. Now they are all on their own and I'm still trashing a box here and there. It's bad enough that hubby and I have lots of stuff that should be pitched out.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:28 PM

It will feel so good once you get it all organized. I just finished last weekend and I love it.