Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Those Who Sew in the Kitchen >

Those Who Sew in the Kitchen

Those Who Sew in the Kitchen

Old 06-06-2012, 11:40 AM

Default Those Who Sew in the Kitchen

As I am a person who almost always has her sewing machine set up in the kitchen, I came up with an idea. Has anyone ever considered having a real space cut out of your kitchen counter for your sewing machine? One that a person would be able to lower the machine when done sewing. Sort of like an old-fashioned sewing cabinet.

I just think it would be the niftiest thing! Of course, one would have to be willing to give up that much cupboard space.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

I don't sew in the kitchen, though I used to sew in the laundry room. When I was renovating, I did build the sewing machine into the cupboards.

It wasn't done, like the old machines where the machine turned on it's side into the cabinet. Rather we cut a hole in the countertop, inserted the machine, left it standing. Then had a clip up/down lid with a skirt on it, so that when it was closed, the machine was fully enclosed and the countertop looked consistent with the rest of the laundry countertop, except for the cuts in the arborite.

For my "chair" we built a cube with shepherd's casters that fully fit the hole where your legs go, so that when not sewing, it was out of the way. The top was padded so it'd be nice and cushy, then it flipped up for storage of sewing needs. There was a lift out tray so it was double decker, rather than one deep hole. There's lots of improvements that I'd do if doing it again.

In one of the drawers in the laundry cabinets, there was a flip out ironing board. It wasn't a very big laundry room and this all worked out well.

Limitations ... if you siwtch machines, the hole wouldn't likely fit, though you could easily renovate for the new machine! Space wise I was limited because of the built in. In other locations, one would be able to have an open end, to allow the fabric to drape down an open side (*think* fully assembling a quilt)

So yes, you have the starts of a fantastic plan ... take your time to plan it out and you'll be more than happy with your results!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:32 AM

We had plans to do something similar, but then our carpenter friend moved

it's a GREAT idea! IT is a good point about the limitations, but cutting the space a little wider and deeper should resolve that issue. For me, I've used the same machines for years and just keep 'em well maintained.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RUSewing View Post
We had plans to do something similar, but then our carpenter friend moved

it's a GREAT idea! IT is a good point about the limitations, but cutting the space a little wider and deeper should resolve that issue. For me, I've used the same machines for years and just keep 'em well maintained.
It's just the standard risks with any built-ins .... microwaves, refrigerators, TVs, sewing machines, etc.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:27 PM

I say go for it! It's your house and you can do what ever you want to with it!......
Old 06-07-2012, 07:35 PM

My friend did this when she remodeled her kitchen. She does have to move her machine to the table when she needs more room for doing something large or bulky.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

I sew in my dining room. My table has my machine on one end which is there all the time. I try to hide it when I have company. That is not always fun or easy to do....A special place in the kitchen with a way of hiding it when done sounds like a great idea........Good luck...
Old 06-12-2012, 02:19 AM

I will probably never do this but was wondering what others thought. Never did think of sewing larger items - that would be difficult and would obviously have to move the machine.

For some reason, my sewing machine seems to 'float' around - kitchen table, kitchen counter, kitchen island, dining room table. It's always up - you would think I would get tons of projects done. I do get lots of small projects done but don't seem to take the time to cut/sew/finish the probably four quilts I have to do.

Someday I think I really would like to make the dining room into a permanent sewing room. Heck, it's only used for sure once a year, sometimes twice.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by girlsfour View Post
I .........Someday I think I really would like to make the dining room into a permanent sewing room. Heck, it's only used for sure once a year, sometimes twice.
If that's what you want to do, why wait? Make plans to use it as your sewing room ... and include in those plans how you make it back into the dining room for the occasions you want to have the full dining room. It really wouldn't be that difficult to accomplish ......... if you really want it!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:07 AM

I did this in my last house. I put my dining room in the formal living room and put my sewing in my dining room. It was a wonderful solution. Yes it was exposed. But, if you're in my home, hopefully it is because you are my friend and love me. Not judging my creative space. jmho