Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Today is Moving Day! >

Today is Moving Day!

Today is Moving Day!

Old 01-01-2016, 06:22 PM

Rodney, the house was sold long ago (actually about 15 years ago, but my folks had a deal to stay as long as they wanted). Since it's zoned industrial and the plan was always to demo everything, the buyer agreed to let the family take what ever we wanted before we turned it over to him.

And we took a lot, including a couple of the outbuildings. My sis stripped a lot of the wide baseboard trim that was upstairs. Dad had remodeled the mail level so there was little worth saving from most of the house.

Using the house for fire department training won't work- it is not wood construction. After the first house burnt and they lost one child in the fire, my grandparents went with a construction method that was suppose to be fire proof. We knocked some of the plaster down and it's sort of like made with cement blocks, but they more like tiles than blocks.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Congrats on your progress!
Old 01-02-2016, 07:28 AM

The house I live in was stripped to the two by fours, only they were more like three by fives. The baseboards here were about 10 inches wide by almost 10 feet long. And there was a piece of trim at the top of them. I have that trim as the baseboard in an upstairs bedroom, and some of that long base board was made into quilting frame sticks by my son.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:19 AM

I'm not making good progress today - I came to the conclusion that I can't do much upstairs until I get the dining room table moved, and I can't move the table until the LA is moved, and I didn't want to do that until tomorrow. I suppose I can go around the house and round up the stray sewing machine attachments and manuals- and haul them outside.

DH is going to make me three more machine shelfs for the Machine Shed side, so I'll be able to get half my Singers out there. I'm going to leave the display shelves set up at the end of the dining room where I have my more expensive Singer attachments, along with my FW collection. I think I'll leave my FW card tables in the house, and the 301 long bed in the case and the card table that goes with it. The silver 15 is staying in the house, along with my 201 that is in the cabinet from the farm - that I used when I first learned to sew (don't have the machine, but I'm very happy the cabinet survived).
Old 01-02-2016, 05:54 PM

Looking good. What Ikea cabinet is that?
Old 01-02-2016, 06:13 PM

Wow! You have had a busy two days. Thanks for sharing the updates. I am getting excited to see the finish, but I know like all good things, it will be a while yet.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:01 PM

We had a sink like this in the milkhouse on the farm. It was salvaged from an old house. We used it until the heard was sold during the great dairy buyout in the 70s. It is probably still there.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:11 PM

Cathy, it's looking wonderful. Moving is such a pain! When we built this house 15 years ago, I vowed that my next move would be to the cemetery! I'm not ready for that yet! LOL!

Jeanette
Old 01-04-2016, 03:25 PM

LOve the progress. You do have heat in your shed right? I would come and help you sort and move, but I live too far away and don't fly. Maybe I should get my broom out of retirement.lol
Old 01-04-2016, 05:15 PM

The shed is fully insulated and heated. No problem being comfortable out there even when it's below zero.

Got the long arm moved today. not making much progress as DH and I have both been a bit under the weather. I called in sick today, and didn't get to feeling up to anything until about 2pm. Next step is to get stuff moved around inside the house, but that may have to wait until next weekend.