Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Tried to set up a sewing room but.... >

Tried to set up a sewing room but....

Tried to set up a sewing room but....

Old 09-05-2016, 08:14 PM

Default Tried to set up a sewing room but....

I'm too attached to my sewing space in the living room. I have the machine I quilt with out there, my serger and my mending/piecing/garment machine and my big tackle box full of bobbins, thread and attachments. Everything is right there for spur of the moment mending, piecing, garment construction and quilting.

Right now, the most important thing to me is getting all my spare sewing machines, fabric and batting out of the living room(stashed behind furniture and looks like a warehouse-yuck)and out of the way.

My main gripe is my fabric. I have it in four big bins and four big bags. I want to hang the large pieces up and organize it a bit so it's not so hard to sort through when planning a new project. Seperate the garment fabric and patterns and organize the quilting stuff by color and type. It will take some time and I just can't stand having it scattered out all over the house and lying everywhere while I sort it. I want to be able to piece different things and have them ready to quilt as needed.

I'm also wanting a space in there for a guest too, so not enough room to have everything I would want in a sewing room. There is a twin bed, a nightstand and a dresser in there that will be a space for fabric-the smaller pices folde up just right so I can see it at a glance when I pull the drawer open.

Just finished painting the room and moving stuff in there. Lots of work hopefully can make a peaceful space for my daughter and I to work in soon.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:20 PM

sounds like a very big project. I wish you well. tackle a little at a time. rest often
Old 09-06-2016, 03:14 AM

I figured that if I have a window to look out of when I am sewing, I am the luckiest person in the world. I don't like looking at walls. So, I took a part of what used to be (we called) the TV room. I took a little part of that area and put my machine and keyboard in front of the window. I put some feeders out on the lawn in the wintertime to keep the birds happy and enjoy their antics and I am in the process of putting up a pair of shutters and a window box for my window. I have lace curtains and it is so warm and cozy (both winter and summer) and homey. I just love it. I have doo-dads on the window sill and I know when the mail comes, I know when so and so walks her baby and when another neighbor walks his dog and at the same time I am feeding my brain with ideas for making a quilt after I finish the one I am working on. I am so excited about this decorating that I am doing to the outside of the house. II have a sweet little house - four rooms and we raised our son, my husband was able to have several years of retirement before he died. And now I live with a little corner of the house for my sewing area with the window to look out of and enjoy what is going on out there as much as enjoying what my sewing machine is doing in here.

I keep most all my fabric in the basement in plastic containers. I label all the boxes, so I know what is in each box, you know - batik has a box, dogs and cats have a box, I do not use plaids or stripes - I can't keep a line straight if my life depended on it, so I use fabric that has no definitive pattern to it.

Which reminds me - I best get my act together - Fall cleaning and work on a quilt for my brother-in-law!!!! Make it a nice day. Edie

PS - I reread this after I sent it on its merry way and noticed that the words "sewing machine" were in blue and I clicked on it. It was advertising. I did not put that there. I will admit that I bought a Brother Sewing machine last Spring, paid $900.00 for it (gift) and have only gone backwards and forwards on it because I am too busy right now sewing forwards and none of the fancy embroidery stuff. I'll get there. But I did not put that advertising in there.

Last edited by Edie; 09-06-2016 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:10 AM

My sewing room is our "formerly formal" living room. I have my sewing table, small ironing station, another table that folds, cabinets of "stuff" and 3 lawyers cabinets full of fabrics in it. I also have a loveseat and big screen tv so my hubby can come join me and watch tv. I LOVE my space. I have 2 more lawyers cabinets in a spare bedroom filled w/holiday and misc fabrics. My mid-arm was moved to the garage to make room for the loveseat...
Old 09-06-2016, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

​If you have space for a pantry unit with doors and shelves from Walmart, you can organize your fabric on mini bolts in it. I have a nice shelved cupboard given to me and it holds most of my stash and is super handy.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:12 AM

Dresi, it sounds like you have put a lot of thought into your move to the guest room...I'm sure you will need to tweak a few things in your new space from time to time but I hope you get many hours of enjoyment in your new sewing space.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:03 PM

Here it is after painting. Not done yet, waiting for boxspring and need to arrange things and hang more stuff up in the closet instead of the garment rack and get bed set up.

Also need display set up on the blank wall-maybe a rail thingie with really strong magnets(another QB has it-need to do research)near the ceiling.

Need to set up machines and get a folding banquet table.[ATTACH=CONFIG]557905[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_20160909_1533247_rewind.jpg  
Old 09-09-2016, 08:08 PM

You can tell I love sunflowers, right?
Old 09-09-2016, 08:45 PM

Looking good, very good.!!!
Old 09-10-2016, 04:52 AM

It looks like it will be the perfect space. Good luck with getting it ready. And a daughter to sew with...priceless!
Edie, I so enjoyed your description of your sewing space. It does sound warm and cozy.