Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Turning my guest room into a sewing room . . . (thinking about it) >

Turning my guest room into a sewing room . . . (thinking about it)

Turning my guest room into a sewing room . . . (thinking about it)

Old 03-10-2015, 05:02 PM

You could take one of the twin beds & break it down. Put the frame under the other bed & the mattress on top of the other mattress. If you have night guests, just flip the top mattress on the floor. Or maybe make bunks out of them. There is a way to do this. Also, if the two dressers are the same size, you could put them back to back & make a cutting board on the top. That way you would have a lot more room for your sewing machine.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
You could take one of the twin beds & break it down. Put the frame under the other bed & the mattress on top of the other mattress. If you have night guests, just flip the top mattress on the floor. Or maybe make bunks out of them. There is a way to do this. Also, if the two dressers are the same size, you could put them back to back & make a cutting board on the top. That way you would have a lot more room for your sewing machine.
I decided that with 2 spare rooms (my kids former bedrooms) one became the "guest" room where the queen size bed serves as my design"wall" and my Shiloutte Cameo sits, and the other one is my sewing room. Since I didn't want to lose all beds there, I purchased a USA made trundle bed from NC and have extra batting on the trundle, have a drafting table in the center of the room for cutting, shelves for fabric and books/magazines, my sewing table along one wall with a huge old desk next to it to take weight of full quilts when I'm putting them together--plus there's always other stuff under and on it! I did get an art deco china cabinet at an auction--fabric on the top under glass and fusible, etc behind the solid cabinet doors. Wish I had a way to get all that and my long arm in the same space, but long arm stuff is in the basement. All those stairs keep me in shape!
Old 03-10-2015, 07:12 PM

Angry Guest roo/sewing room

I have a queen size inflatable mattress, and sleeping bags for kids if company comes. My "spare room" is mine! I waited a long time to have a sewing palace and bigod I am going to keep it! We did have a guest room, but family members on both sides kept "visiting" for months or more and not contributing, so we now have no "spare" room. I guess some family members missed the "cover your own butt" lesson as a kid! I am going to stop here because I feel a rant coming on and you don't want to hear it!
Old 03-11-2015, 03:14 AM

I have a large room for sewing and guests, with a longarm machine in the middle. We sometimes get more than two guests at once, so we needed more than the one queen bed. My DH got a Murphy Bed kit from Rockler and built a queen sized pull-down bed. I have all my sewing/cutting/pressing furniture on slides (no carpeting for me) so they can be tucked away when needed. The closet shelves hold my stash and materials. I hang a design wall from the Murphy Bed when needed. He built all the furniture for me to my spec's. I'm a lucky girl!!! If I ever get it cleaned up again, I'll post pictures.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:11 AM

I am considering getting a murphy bed for the guest bedroom so I have more space for sewing things.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by ghquilter53 View Post
I am considering getting a murphy bed for the guest bedroom so I have more space for sewing things.
A murphy bed is a great idea. You can build your own if you can find the special hinges needed.

We have been building our small house for the last 3 years, while living in it, and all kinds of ideas pop up as it progresses. We're near the end now and my sewing space is very small, compact and doubles as the office. It takes up only half of the small loft, with a full size bed for guests in the other half. It all works. My guests know that I sew and none of them mind if my sewing machine is out. I just cover up my sewing table with a table cloth to cover up my creative mess. I've learned to do with much less this way. It's like living on a boat...you find a place for everything necessary and the rest goes, "overboard."

~ Cindy
Old 03-11-2015, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I live in a very small space. The largest room is my sewing room. I never have overnight guests, a good thing too. I would not keep an empty room for anyone. I practically live in my sewing room when I am home. I work full time.