Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart vs Dollar General foamcore boards

Walmart vs Dollar General foamcore boards

I really needed more fabric organizer boards so I decided to try the foamcore and cut them myself. I bought one of the foamcore boards from Walmart and it was hard to cut and didn't cut very cleanly. I was going to go ahead and get a couple more but they only had one more.

So on my way home I stopped at Dollar General and they had some. The paper on the outside is more like paper instead of like poster board and they're lighter in weight than the Walmart boards. They cut beautifully with one pass of the rotary cutter!!! Plus they're half the price of the Walmart foamcore! I can cut five 8.5 X 11 inch fabric organizers from one sheet of foamcore.

I use the jumbo vinyl coated paper clips to secure the fabric and Walmart didn't have any of them. But Dollar Tree did and at DT they're only a dollar per package. I even found a cute box to keep them in.

To add more info, I looked the company up online that makes the Dollar General boards and their website says they're acid free!! I think I'll go get all they have!

thanks for the post . good to know that.

Thanks for the tip! I've been thinking of doing this & you just gave me the incentive!

Good old DG! Gotta love em!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    When I cut foamcore I use the straight razon blade the ones that they use to cut open boxes with. You have to cut it in the same place 3 times. Saw it done on the Carol Duvall show Worked fine for me

How much does this make your boards cost each? Uline has them already cut but I think they average around $.50 each. Is this cheaper?

Thanks for the information

Blog Entries
    Interesting, who knew there would be a difference. I did this to my fabrics a few years back, but found I had way more fabric than foam core! JoAnns Fabrics gives the empty bolts away, and the ones that are flat and just cardboard are the perfect size. The way they are folded, I get about 4 per bolt and it cuts with a rotary cutter too. Not nearly as pretty but free!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonfs View Post
    How much does this make your boards cost each? Uline has them already cut but I think they average around $.50 each. Is this cheaper?
    The Dollar Tree has foam core boards for $1 apiece. I cut mine into 5" X 12" pieces and I was able to get 9 or 10 of them out of one sheet of foam core. That makes it about 10 cents apiece. I had to buy 40 boards to have enough to do almost all of my fabrics (now that tells you I have to much fabric!!) so for $40 I got 400 fabric boards. Not a bad price! Uline would have cost me $200.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast