Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with "leftovers" from quilts

Don't be afraid to just donate. What goes around comes around and all that. Sometimes we just need to breathe and I agree we can just get too much stuff. Some people love lots of stuff, me, too much bothers me. I am almost at that point. Trying to tame it down and use what I have. I do scrappy quilts, and tiny or small pieces I throw in a basket and then make dog pillows out of it for the humane society.

We have a lot of guest speakers at our guild and many of them put those orphans blocks on the back. Goodwill would use them. They sell stuff like this all the time.

Either donate to a local organization, quilt guild, or church. String quilts can be made into wonderful charity quilts.

Either donate or sell. Believe it or not there are quilters who buy bags of scraps (ask me how I know).

Blog Entries
    I have been making baby bibs, you can make inch squares of smaller, uses left over batting and left over pieces for the backing. You can also make bathmats, potholders. I also like the idea of the Adult bids. Cat mats, dog mats, dog toys, cat toys...tons of stuff. I am tying to use up my scraps and its starting to make a dent.

Blog Entries
    If you cut your fabric into 5 inch squares and cut a bunch of white 5 inch squares...you can pretty much use anything. For ugly fabrics I cut them down to 2 1/2 inch and they look great. then just do the leader end quilts. If you cut up your scraps into shapes its not so overwelming.

Cindy, do you have and pictures of your orphan block quilts? I have that book. I guess it's time I look at it again.

I've been enjoying the scrappy quilt show. I've seen a lot of quilts I have made and would like to make.
    Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Blog Entries
    donate to a quilt guild and they use them to make charity quilts.

Check local rest homes, senior centers, churches and see if someone would love your leftovers!

Our guild show is in October and each member is expected to make a small quilt for the silent auction. I am using a whole bunch of left over HSTs to make a small quilt. So far, it is adorable!!!
    Christine Tindell

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast