Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What is the perfect size/setup for your sewing room/laundry? >

What is the perfect size/setup for your sewing room/laundry?

What is the perfect size/setup for your sewing room/laundry?

Old 12-27-2016, 10:51 AM

Default What is the perfect size/setup for your sewing room/laundry?

What is the prefect set up for a LA along with your sewing machine and serger, ironing board, cutting table fabric storage, notions, And possibly your laundry room?! Has anyone used a professional space planner to figure this out? please only reply if you you think you can share your perfect design that you are totally happy with as I want to cut to the chase! Thank you
Old 12-28-2016, 03:51 AM

Are you building the space or do you have the space but trying to figure out if everying thing will fit?

That long arm alone is going to take up a lot of space. I would make sure that you allow a minimum of 36" around its' perimeter for space to walk around it. So...if the long arm machine is 12' long then add 6 additional to the length of the room . Width of the long arm plus 6 feet.

I used to do space planning for commercial offices. 36" is the minimum space for foot traffic-movement.

sandy
Old 12-28-2016, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by love to sew View Post
What is the prefect set up for a LA along with your sewing machine and serger, ironing board, cutting table fabric storage, notions, And possibly your laundry room?! Has anyone used a professional space planner to figure this out? please only reply if you you think you can share your perfect design that you are totally happy with as I want to cut to the chase! Thank you
if you want to "cut to the chase"... you need to provide much more details. Better yet, hire an architect and pay them to build and plan the space for your project. They will ask all of the correct questions and then hand you the bill to complete it. We are amatuers.

The "perfect" solution is like finding your "perfect spouse".

sandy
Old 12-28-2016, 04:05 AM

Believe it or not, your question is pretty generic...for example, your sewing machine set up may be in a small cabinet or a large built-in desk...ironing board or ironing station? Not all sewing rooms are created equal...especially if you are including a laundry room?

I am in the midst of doing a build out over a two car garage and have done a ton of googling of dream sewing studios, but I have not seen any professional planners...how about graph paper?
Old 12-28-2016, 05:29 AM

There's a book called "Creating Your Perfect Quilting Space" by Lois L. Hallock. It has a lot of good ideas and pictures of different rooms as well as space planning diagrams.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:07 AM

Everyone's "perfect" is different. And I find my "perfect" layout changes at times. When we moved in our first house, I got graph paper and measured all the rooms and then our furniture. I cut little pieces out the size of the furniture and laid it on the graph paper to see how everything would fit. It worked great!
Old 12-28-2016, 10:35 AM

Great answer! thank you.
Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
if you want to "cut to the chase"... you need to provide much more details. Better yet, hire an architect and pay them to build and plan the space for your project. They will ask all of the correct questions and then hand you the bill to complete it. We are amatuers.

The "perfect" solution is like finding your "perfect spouse".

sandy
Old 12-28-2016, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Everyone's "perfect" is different. And I find my "perfect" layout changes at times. When we moved in our first house, I got graph paper and measured all the rooms and then our furniture. I cut little pieces out the size of the furniture and laid it on the graph paper to see how everything would fit. It worked great!
I know about the graph paper and have done that before. But if you could design the space with all the above in mind my question should be put all those things in and how big of a space would you need? and what would the proper placement be?
Old 12-28-2016, 12:29 PM

There are a few examples of sewing spaces on Houzz. You can look there and connect with a professional if you'd like. There's a couple of dual spaces that may be of interest.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

My current space is about 19'x20'. I have a longarm, sewing machine in large cabinet, and large cutting table, as well as lots of shelving lining the walls. There's room to set up my ironing board, but I don't have a serger and my laundry room is separate. It does the job, but I wish it were bigger!