Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Yikes, how will I find anything? >

Yikes, how will I find anything?

Yikes, how will I find anything?

Old 03-16-2013, 04:36 AM

Feel your pain. Suggestion...think UP when moving into your dh office...shelves shelves shelves..book cases if you need to buy another one... move some stuff to other parts of the house...we bought a new bookshelf for my quilting books.
and the bookcase is in the dining room. Good luck
Old 03-16-2013, 05:05 AM

The same thing has happened to me twice. I had my add on of 14 by 20 set up the way I wanted it. It did have a guest bed at one end just in case. Well our youngest son needed to move in and little by little I got pushed to about 3 feet of that room. My son decided I neede my front porch closed in for my room so he did that at his expense, It was without inside walls and windows for several months, To add to the drama one of our daughters and her family have had to move home due to job issues. There are 5 of them. you guessed it. I packed everything up in a hurry because th son was putting inside walls up for his sister so right now my sewing machine and table are back in his room with just enough space for me to slide in the chair. lol. Does not do much good to have the machine out when you have things scattered all over the house and it was packed so nilly willy that I have no clue where anything is.
Enough gripping. I will give up my sewing space to have my kids here. I just miss it.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:08 AM

Maybe your DH could relocate the office elsewhere for a while. Just saying....
Old 03-16-2013, 06:05 AM

If this is a transition of only several months (hopefully) pick out several specific projects and all the fabric, notions, rulers, etc. you'll need for those projects. If you don't need access to all your stash, patterns, etc. you can pack up the rest of it into storage tubs and still have what you need to keep quilting. You may find you have less time than before due to the increased number of people in the house...or you may find that you've just got to get away from the commotion and spend more time sewing to have your own time and space. We've helped both our kids through transition times, and I had both experiences. DD, SIL and granddaughter were here for quite a while and grandson was born during that time...I was so busy that I never had the chance to sew. When son and his wife were here last year for several months during their transition with jobs and moving, I sewed more! No grandkids were involved and I needed my own space.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Minnesewta-sam View Post
Maybe your DH could relocate the office elsewhere for a while. Just saying....
What's good for the goose...
Old 03-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

Good Luck....
Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 AM

good luck; it'll be a change. last week I totally cleaned my very small sewing room and even my daughter made a good comment about it. My co-worker said well at least now its done; I said yes, but for most of us quilters/embroiders it'll only be that way until I start my next project. I've come to realize that after each project I have to reorganize to find what I need and so on. It would be great if it was bigger but then I'd probably have a bigger mess and only clean after every other project or so. Tell him that "neet" is up to the eye of the beholder; what works for one may not be the same for the other.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 AM

i share the sewing room with hubby. We have two 6' tables. He has his computer, printer one one I sew on the other. His hobby is photography. About 2 years ago we purchased a freezer and the only place to put was the sewing room, so had to do some rearranging. I moved some of my "stuff' into the guest room which worked well. This last fall my son and his girlfriend both had bad room mate situations and moved into the guest room. It was going to be for only a couple of months and then she became very ill, so they are still here. I am always having to ask them for things I have stored in the closet. If I can get some UFO's done I will have room in the sewing room again.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM

I organized my quilting room a month ago and can't find anything! Don't do it!! Shove it all in a box if you want to hide it while they're there. I didn't have company coming, I simply wanted to move my scrapbooking into the room, all on it's own shelf. If I ever do this again someone please just shoot me?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:13 AM

I've recently had 2 kids move back home. So much for my sewing room. I don't mind the kids being home, but it was challenging to store some of their stuff and find a place to quilt. The upside is I have been forced to go thru all my quilting things and really organize, donate and give away some things. I have now taken over a small section of the dining room. I have also found some things I had been looking for. Good luck with your transition and I pray all will work out fine.