Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Camping and sewing

Be sure to use a surge protector, particularly if you're using a generator. I've taken mine camping at the beach and had a great time sewing. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    When my husband and I travel, I take hand work - applique work and/or embroidery. We travel in a camper so I plan ahead and all my projects for 2-3 weeks fit into a 12" scrapbooking container (you know the ones designed to hold 12x12 paper). The only other thing I take is my sewing box which is a make-up bag that has all the essential sewing supplies. I even did some paper-piecing (by hand) while on one trip. I set up strips of lights and darks to make some pineapple blocks for a project - I was amazed at how quickly the hand piecing went and how easy it was.

Hi yes I do take my machine camping Before I had my park model I had a pop up and I had a outside screen house with a table and used that One of the small folding ones. Ond on bad days I used the kitchen table. and stored in under my kitchen table seats. Hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by trindles View Post
    I am a new memeber to this blog. I noticed a discussion about taking sewing machines on a camping trip. I am going camping in a pop-up for 3 weeks. Would love to take my machine. Has anyone ever taken their machine in a pop-up? I noticed no one took it in a tent. My main concern is condensation. Of course when I am not using the machine, it will be in my pop-up. We are dry inside, but it is cool in the morning (Maine) and there is some general dampness. I am leaving this Friday Aug. 9, 2013. I hope someone sees my question and will take time to respond. Thanks.

Bring it and put some Damp Rid in the case when not in use. That may keep the moisture out of your machine. I've never done this, but it's a suggestion.

I took my machine for years. I put it back in its case when not in use. Same machine still running.

nhugs50 - I found the niftiest little steam iron that the handle folds over for easy storage and I have a mini ironing board in my camper.......so you aren't alone. Don't forget new pizza boxes for works in progress or cut up quilts. They work great, stack easily and you can write on the outside.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do.

We have a HiLow camper and I have taken my quilting with me several times. Never had a problem with moisture BUT we live in the desert of NM. Even when it rains there is no moisture in the camper. I would just cover the machine up every night so it won't get damp.

Blog Entries
    My "stuff" goes with me everywhere, i have two computerized pfaffs, never had a problem, i would be lost without them. So go for it and have fun
    Mary

Hello Trindles and welcome from sunny, hot Summerville, SC! Haven't camped since we were young with young children so really can't help in that regard. It looks like you could take your machine in your car or truck and packed well. Perhaps putting a cover over it in the evening or when not using it would protect it... just a thought... Have a great time camping. This board is great place to learn about quilting...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2