I get to be a snowbird!

Old 01-28-2014, 02:13 AM

Default I get to be a snowbird!

The other day someone ask about snowbirds and I said I wasn't one but wished I was. The elderly (99) man I was careing for went to assisted living so we are headed to Zephyrhills for Feb. And March. We need a break in the weather so we can leave. Just found out Sunday at 12:30 that we were going so have been packing like crazy. Today I have to find sewing stuff to take me. Anyone in that area that would like to meet up. Mayme
Old 01-28-2014, 05:31 AM

Hi! We just moved to west Michigan 2 weeks ago; what an experience it has been!! This weather has been rough for sure! Lucky you to be heading to Florida! Are you driving or flying? I haven't watched the news yet today so I haven't heard if driving is restricted. I know so many places are closed today and it is COLD COLD COLD!!!!! Travel safely!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 AM

We are driving. I don't mind the snow. This is just a good old fashion MI winter. It's the cold that is so bad. It has lasted so long. We don't like it hot and humid so we may be back before we planned! Where are you located? I'm in Shelby. Between Ludington and Muskegon along the west side.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 AM

We are in Paw Paw. We have family in Ludington & Manistee. We moved because of a job transfer; my other half is a 25 yr employee with Meijer and they are opening a new store in South Haven.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:09 AM

Welcome to Florida. Zephyrhills is nice and you will enjoy it. Drive up to Crystal River and visit the Manatees. Would love to have you visit us as well. We will be in South America for the month of March. We are both (DH & me) southern born & breed and love warm weather. PM me if you wish to visit. That could be incentive for cleaning up my sewing room.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:49 AM

I'm in Zephyrhills, and I'm a snowbird from southeast Michigan. Would like to meet with you at some time while you are down here. Nancy
Old 01-29-2014, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

I lived in Zephyrhills when I was young...Enjoy the heat....
Old 01-29-2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by mayme View Post
We are driving. I don't mind the snow. This is just a good old fashion MI winter. It's the cold that is so bad. It has lasted so long. We don't like it hot and humid so we may be back before we planned! Where are you located? I'm in Shelby. Between Ludington and Muskegon along the west side.
Sweetie, it is cold here in FL, I am in Homosassa about 50 or so miles from Zephyrhills so don't count on it being warm just yet, Feb and March is the best month, you will love it, and it is the dry part of year too so humidty is not bad at all. Right now I would take summer any day over this.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
I lived in Zephyrhills when I was young...Enjoy the heat....
Heat? Haven't had any for awhile. We've had frequent 6-8 hour freezes which have required covering the outdoor plants with...FABRIC!! I'm not complaining, but am sayin' you should bring some shoes that aren't sandals. February and March are generally good months of not too hot and not too cold. Crystal River has a quilt shop, so does Cedar Key (it's a great place to go...like back to the 50's!!! and be sure to try the heart of palm salad). DeLand (Stetson University) has a quilt shop and the owner designs fabric and has been on Fons & Porter. Google "Quilt Shows in FL" and you'll find there's a lot going on this time of year. Safe travel!

Last edited by coopah; 01-29-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:53 PM

Just looked on map and it is only about 30 miles from here. Not far at all.