making ALASKA plans

Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned

Default making ALASKA plans

my dearest friend in Alaska is moving to WA at the end of Sept so I have decided NOW is the time to head back for a long visit! I will be in Anchorage from 8/23-9/5 and then out to Bethel to visit from the 5th-10th before heading back via Denver!
I know we will be working at the State fair a few of the days during labor day weekend...but the rest of the time will be spent SEEING Alaska again...

anyone here want to meet up at a quilt shop or two..I know we will be driving out to Nikiski for sure...and all of Palmer/Wasilla, and who knows where..heheheh

I can hardly sleep thinking about it...
Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM

I wish I could! Had 2 daughters who lived in Anchorage for about 12 yrs and I loved visiting for long periods, like 6,7 or 8 weeks at the time,several times. Beautiful place and I just loved it there. Best wishes for a wonderful trip and hope you have lots and lots of fun.

delma
Old 06-28-2012, 03:35 PM

DH and I have always talked about hopping on a cruise ship to see the glaciers up there. So far, we haven't quite made it. I want to see the whales and the blue in the glaciers. You have quite a drive ahead of you! Where in Washington is your friend moving?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:55 AM

If your heading to Nikiski make sure you stop by the fabric store in Kenai. I used to love to drive over to it when I lived in Seward. She had so much fabric I always had a very hard time making up my mind. Sure do miss it, wish we had one like it here in North Florida.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:56 AM

Before you sign up for a cruise, look into the Alaska Marine Highway. More afforable and you will get a much closer view.
Was going to go but our plans were canceled.
What I have heard about cruising Alaska is that when these mega big cruise ships pull into a port that the towns ccan't really handle the rush and you end up waiting in line anywhere you go (to lunch, shopping)
Old 06-29-2012, 05:03 AM

Have a great time.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:18 AM

Skagway, visit Rushin Tailor Quilt Alaska, it is only a few blocks from where the ships dock and is a wonderful store. They also have a great web site. Anchorage has several quilt shops but you will need a car to visit them. If you are in Homer there is a hardward store that has lots and lots of fabric in the back and very helpful employees. There are fabric stores in most of the cities but you need a car.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:49 AM

Sorry you can't get to Sitka.... great quilt shop there.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:15 AM

Hubby and I and my sister and her husband went to Alaska in 2009. We flew to Anchorage, rented a car and spent 13 days driving and sightseeing and staying at B&Bs for the most part. It was wonderful. We made a big circle up to the Denali "highway" and west to the Richardson highway, Seward, Valdez, ferry to Whittier, 3 nights in Homer, Girdwood and back to Anchorage. Stopped at many, many places in between these highlights. Saw moose, black bear, grizzly bear, sea lions, whales, caribou, salmon run and so many other things it still makes my head spin. Had a new camera and telephoto lens and took over 1700 photos. I did the driving so that when I wanted to stop and take a picture I could stop without talking someone into stopping. Did manage to find a few quilt shops but can't remember right now just where they were. I do remember that the Ben Franklin/hardware store/everything shop in Homer had a wonderful selection of all types of fabric. We went in mid August had a ball! The weather was good and the blue in the glaciers is amazing. Brother-in-law was sure I had a photo of every glacier in Alaska. We even saw Mt McKinley/Denali which is usually covered in clouds. We stopped on a bridge to get a photo, the clouds parted until I got several good pics and then the clouds closed in again. Loved that trip!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:34 AM

I would LOVE TO GO back, I've been there twice, and made most of the quilt's shops. My son and family live at the base near Anchorage, and we are planning a return trip fall of 2013. Enjoy yourself and I will be thinkin about you.