MQX show

Old 04-06-2015, 11:29 AM

Default MQX show

Is anyone going to the Machine Quilting Expo in NH? Would like to find out info on this show, is it worth going?
Old 04-07-2015, 03:00 PM

When you Google it the show info comes up. It seems to be a long arm expo, but there are classes for domestic machines too. It isn't a quilt show, it's a quilt machine show, so it isn't a venue where you can walk around and ooo and ahhh over beautiful quilts. But if you have a long arm or are in the market for one, you might find it beneficial.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Butterfli19, I gather you have never actually attended MQX. It IS a quilt show and a fantastic one! The only thing is all the quilts in it are machine quilted. Some are domestic machine quilted and some are longarm quilted. None are hand quilted.

Butterfi19 is absolutely incorrect, it is ABSOLUTELY a venue where you can ooh and ahh over all the quilts displayed. There are AMAZING wonderful quilts to ooh and aaah over at MQX. It is a wonderful show to go to with lots of quilts but none are hand quilted they are all machine quilted. They are judged as well so there are ribbon winners and tons of categories. And loads of big name quilters have exhibited there. In addition the vendors are fantastic and loads of them. Naturally all the major long arm vendors are there with demo machines set up for you to try but there are also loads of quilt shops vending with fabrics, threads, notions, etc. I have gotten some fabulous hand dyes at MQX as well as Asian fabric and the thread specials are awesome. Superior has a booth every year. Yes there are many vendors catering to long arm quilters but plenty for the domestic machine quilter to salivate over as well. It is a great show. I will be there on Saturday with a friend. You should absolutely go, you won't regret it!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:37 PM

I agree with Feline Fanatic. MQX is a great show as long as you understand that all the quilting is done by machine.
Since Butterfli19 lives so close, she should give it a try sometime. I'll be there tomorrow, and I don't have a
longarm.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:16 PM

I, too, agree with both Feline and Ido...a fantastic show with many gorgeous quilts to oooh and ahhh over. I am not a long arm quilter (I actually specialize in flimsies!) and I love going to this show. I usually do 3 shows per year, MQX, World of Quilts and A Quilter's Gathering. All held at the Radisson Hotel in Manchester, NH, which is an easy drive for me (thank goodness). I have been going to all these shows since they began and would not miss MQX!

Idoqlts...I will be there on Thursday as well.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:29 PM

No, I have never attended. I was just going by what was on the website and it said there were quilt tours, didn't sound like you could just walk in and walk around.

I would prefer to go to a show that include hand and domestic machine quilting because that is what inspires me and it also reflects my ability level. Thank you for first-hand info.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:26 AM

I went to the MQX show and it was a beautiful quilt show, yes all machine quilted quilts plenty of vendors and plenty of quilts to view at your pleasure. There were a lot of longarm machine dealers but plenty of domestic machine vendors also. I go to plenty of mancuso shows and aqs and i would put this show right up there, it was great. Next year will take some classes (plenty of domestic machine classes).
Old 04-10-2015, 04:53 AM

I went last year and took pics. I put them all on a page to see: http://whitemagicwoman.com/MQX-Quilt-Show/

This is my domain. It's safe to click through. :-)
Old 04-10-2015, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

So glad you went and enjoyed it. I really like it because they allow you so close to the quilts. I have taken uber-closeup photos of the quilting for inspiration. You can get your nose right up to them. I took a class a few years ago at MQX with Karen McTavish. I would have loved to take the class with Bethanne Nemish but my schedule simply wouldn't allow it. April is a difficult month for me to get time off of work. But they always have the best class offerings. They fill up fast though so sign up for the newsletter on their website so you know as soon as they announce and don't wait on the mailing. If you do, classes you want may already be filled.

I am really looking forward to tomorrow. A good friend of mine entered and she won two first place ribbons! So happy for her.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusanErler View Post
I went last year and took pics. I put them all on a page to see: http://whitemagicwoman.com/MQX-Quilt-Show/

This is my domain. It's safe to click through. :-)
the first quilt on your website was made by my friend Teri! She ribboned first time she entered. This year she entered two quilts and ribboned on both of them.