New York fabric stores

Old 02-09-2016, 05:40 AM

I am originally from NY and on a trip back several years ago, I went to City Quilter. It is pretty nice - lots of city themes and a variety of fabrics. Fun shop. Enjoy your trip.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:54 AM

Let me add, there are no bargains at City Quilter. The fabric is of the highest quality, many over $10 a yard.
However, you will get what you pay for. Recently got some fabric from Joann's of very poor quality. Same high prices in many stores I have visited, and online. My favorite shop, to date, is in San Diego.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:26 PM

How exciting for both of you! I am so jealous I look like Kermit!
Old 02-13-2016, 07:33 AM

Definitely check out the garment district. Tons of fabric stores, notions, etc. I have never been to the City Quilter, but I did order online and was very pleased. It is pricey, but I was looking for NYC themed fabric.

Wish I was a quilter when I lived in NYC.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
I live in NYC. If you have time for coffee, let me know. My Bee meets on Wed. We love guests!City Quilter is a great store. People from all over the world shop there. In the Garment district, you'll find all kinds of fabric. A lot of people go to Mood, made famous by Project Runway on tv. There is also Purl's in Soho (downtown) with very beautiful wool felt and the always-pricey Liberty of London.

Singing at Carnegie Hall is a wonderful experience. You will be near a wonderful bakery too! Let me know if I can help with any other details! Dotty
Hi Dotty,

Thanks for the invite - it ended up being a crazy busy week. Sorry I didn't reach out and get to meet you in person! So I missed you in Seattle last August (or was it the year before ?), then blew it again in February in NY. Next time I will do better. To be fair, I was in California when you were in Seattle... Loved the garment district but ended up with limited time there.... Picked up some apparel fabric, saw three Broadway shows, mom's performance at Carnegie, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, Museums, Top of the Rock, night out of Cuban food and music, lots of walking, subways & cabs. All in 7 days... exhausting but wonderful. Oh, and it was bloody freezing!
Old 03-11-2016, 09:49 AM

[QUOTE=dotcomdtcm;7459453]I live in NYC. If you have time for coffee, let me know. My Bee meets on Wed. We love guests!City Quilter is a great store. People from all over the world shop there. In the Garment district, you'll find all kinds of fabric. A lot of people go to Mood, made famous by Project Runway on tv. There is also Purl's in Soho (downtown) with very beautiful wool felt and the always

Now that is a GREAT offer. The City Quilter is also on my bucket list!!!!