Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   Friend too please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/friend-too-please-t216912.html)

tildiemae 03-22-2013 06:47 AM

sounds like a good idea!

Dretha 03-22-2013 07:29 AM

My mother who has been making quilts for a long time lives just a 1/2 mile from me so she is my quilting buddy. We dont get together to sew but we talk a lot about what we are working on. She also does my quilting after I have make my tops. How wonderful it that to have someone so close. If anyone lives near me in Iowa that would like to get together we could start a group here.

Lucky Patsy's 03-22-2013 08:34 AM

Contact the guild and see if they have any sort of program for interested new members. my guild has a position called "mother hen" who takes newbies around and introduces them to different people and shows them all the different things going on in the meeting. It really helps new members meet others and become acclimated and familiar with all that is going on in the guild.

Pat G 03-22-2013 09:29 AM

This board is a great place to meet friends. A yr. ago somebody wrote that she wouldn't be writing on here anymore because she had recently lost her husb., was so deeply grieving & nobody understood what she was going through. Since I had recently lost my husb. & was in a very deep place, I immed. PM'd her to let her know she isn't alone out here.
We have become very dear friends & hope to meet someday. We both learned that we weren't going crazy because of the way we were feeling & are healing together. Being a nurse, my impulse is always to help somebody else feel better so in helping her, I've helped myself.
It's amazing how people on this QB reach out to ea. other.

Pat (RN-retired but nurses never really retire)

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble (Post 5945941)
Wouldn't it be great if somewhere on the QB there was a section for meeting new friends? For finding email friends or local buddies. Q-harmony? ...LOL. I bet a lot of folks would like that.

BuzzinBumble 03-22-2013 09:37 AM

Pat that is so very beautiful! So glad to hear that your hearts found some solace in your newfound friendship!

There are a lot of wonderful people here on this board!

MrsK - It looks like you might have started something here.
I do hope one of us pops up in your home area!

trolleystation 03-22-2013 06:27 PM

Check with your Local Quilt to ask if there are any small-not guild-groups that would accept new members. MAH suggestion to try open sewing at your local quilt shop is an excellent idea.

nanakatmck 03-22-2013 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble (Post 5945941)
Wouldn't it be great if somewhere on the QB there was a section for meeting new friends? For finding email friends or local buddies. Q-harmony? ...LOL. I bet a lot of folks would like that.

That would be great. I too would love to find a quilting buddy.

nanakatmck 03-22-2013 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dretha (Post 5946098)
My mother who has been making quilts for a long time lives just a 1/2 mile from me so she is my quilting buddy. We dont get together to sew but we talk a lot about what we are working on. She also does my quilting after I have make my tops. How wonderful it that to have someone so close. If anyone lives near me in Iowa that would like to get together we could start a group here.

Where in Iowa are you? I'm in Council Bluffs which is SW Iowa.

Teacup 03-22-2013 07:26 PM

Mrsk, I just sent you a PM. I'm not far from you.

luvstoquilt 03-23-2013 06:47 AM

Hi MrsK....I am in Yorkville which I suspect is a bit far to meet on a regular basis but we can be internet friends if you would like. I may be to much older than you to be of interest. (I am 71 and a widow) I have grandchildren and I love to quilt. I moved here to be near my "kids" after Joe died and it has been a real experience. I recently found a wonderful group at the "Farm Bureau"..meets every Wed. and is a real quilting Bee. I have learned something every single week and I find myself looking for the next Wed. It is the nicest group of women and I was told at the first meeting "No one gossips here!" Isn't that just wonderful?

I came to Il from the NJ/NY area and never thought I would end up in the middle of a cornfield but I did and I am loving it. Lots more quilters here than I ever met in the Metro area. Only drawback is the lack of great fabrics I used to find at Estate Sales. I prefer '30's quilts so I loved finding stashes of fabrics in attics!

Have a great day and maybe we can meet at a quilt show in the middle sometime if you would like. Schaumburg is hosting a show April 4-6 at the convention center...see details on www.sevingexpo.com