Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   Friend too please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/friend-too-please-t216912.html)

mrsk 03-20-2013 10:45 PM

Friend too please!

After see the post from Seattle, I would like to put "out there" that I am also looking for a friend. I am in Springfield, IL & I have thought about going to the local quilt guild, but I am not very good (terrified) at meeting new people in such a large group. Is there a member here on the board I could get to know a little here, & then maybe go to a meeting with? P.S. I am 48 yrs. & I have been sewing 40 years & quilting for the last few years.

quiltingcandy 03-20-2013 10:54 PM

Sure wish we lived close - I love to quilt with friends but hate large crowds - even if i know most of the people. My friend that used to go to the guild with quit going, so I did too.

crazythread 03-21-2013 03:21 AM

Sorry I do not live closer (I am in Maryland) but I had to share my experience with you. Several years ago I was in your position. I wanted desperately to belong to a group of quilters but was terrified about going to my local quilt guild alone. The first month I chickened out but the second time I held my breath and marched on into the meeting ALONE. It was the best thing I ever did. The president greeted me and introduced me around. the people were so nice and welcoming I felt right at home. Remember these ladies LOVE the same thing you do and all QUILTERS are wonderful people....So march on

Debbie C 03-21-2013 04:09 AM

wish we lived closer - I'm out on Long Island. I find even walking into my LQS alone very intimidating! I know I can pretty much hold my own in my quilting, but you kind of get that feeling that your work isn't quite 'good enough' and others will be judging you, so I tend to stay in my comfort zone (my home studio). Hey, we can be 'virtual buddies' !!

mah 03-21-2013 10:59 AM

Have you checked out any local quilt shops to see if they hold "open sewing" days? Usually you just work on your own UFO's. That is a good way to start small and not be so overwhelmed.

reginalovesfabric 03-21-2013 12:30 PM

I live in south Mississippi but let me tell you what happened to me. I did belong to a guild about 45 miles away and drove there once a month for 6 years, then gas, well you know. I had not belonged to a guild for a while when a friend told me that there was one locally that meet the third Monday of the month at 6:00 pm. I went and joined, three months later I am vice president in charge of the programs. So far I've come up with some good programs but I have until October before the next vp takes office. Next month we are going to play quilt bingo, I can't wait.

ecmlbrant 03-21-2013 04:05 PM

I seem to be the closest here so far. I live in the very northeast part of Missouri. I am new to the area and would love to find a quilting friend. I wish we were closer sounds like we are looking for the samething.

kathdavis 03-21-2013 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric (Post 5944303)
I live in south Mississippi but let me tell you what happened to me. I did belong to a guild about 45 miles away and drove there once a month for 6 years, then gas, well you know. I had not belonged to a guild for a while when a friend told me that there was one locally that meet the third Monday of the month at 6:00 pm. I went and joined, three months later I am vice president in charge of the programs. So far I've come up with some good programs but I have until October before the next vp takes office. Next month we are going to play quilt bingo, I can't wait.

Reginalovesfabric, I just wanted to pass on an idea our VP of programs had at our guild. At least once a year, we organize a school house quilt meeting. So instead of bringing in a speaker, we have 4-5 members do a simple demo at a table. Members can move from table to table learning something new. Since I have been quilting for only four years or so, I always learn something at the school house meeting.

We are also trying for the first time, an ice cream social meeting and during this time, members will rent a table for $10.00 to sell some of their extra stash, tools, etc. I'm anxious to see how that goes over.

mummyismean 03-22-2013 06:14 AM

Would be friends but Australia is a bit far away. Would you like to be my Internet friend?

BuzzinBumble 03-22-2013 06:32 AM

Wouldn't it be great if somewhere on the QB there was a section for meeting new friends? For finding email friends or local buddies. Q-harmony? ...LOL. I bet a lot of folks would like that.