Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   I would like a quilting friend (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/i-would-like-quilting-friend-t226446.html)

ArlaJo 07-24-2013 10:01 AM

I would like a quilting friend

I live in Tacoma WA and I would like to meet people in my area that like to quilt. Maybe meet once a month to share?

ScrapQuilter 07-24-2013 07:01 PM

Sorry not in your area......... I'm in Wisconsin. Sure hope you find quilters in your area. But do remember everyone here on the quilting board is a quilting friend...........

Painiacs 07-24-2013 08:03 PM

Hope you find few quilting buddies. Otherwise have to do lije me mine are virtual quilting buddies!! :-)

Groovy Pieces 07-25-2013 12:46 AM

Hello My Tacoma Sister . . . . !

Although I reside in Charlotte, NC, I go home 1 - 2 times a year. Try Calico Threads on Pearl Street(Pearl & N.26th shopping center). It's a new shop that just opened early this year. I thought it was quite nice & cozy. They have a sewing lounge & you don't have to take your machine - you can use one of theirs; in fact the only thing you have to take with you is your project. My Mom told me about the shop & had a coupon in the Tacoma flyers for "buy 2 FQs, get 1 free" as an opening promotion. Since they are still new, you might get lucky to get a coupon & make some friends during open sewing; and the staff is quite nice. My annual pilgrimage home is in April. Hopefully we can keep in touch & meet in April at the sewing lounge when I come home.

On my next trip home, I plan to join a guild & follow at a distance. If you are able, check out St Ann "Sew-shul" Club & Quilters By The Bay - these two are in Tacoma & if you can, reach out to Puyallup (which you know is just 20 minutes down I-5), the Puyallup Valley Quilters.

Let me know how fare. I hope this is encouraging for you . . . . GP

Pat G 07-25-2013 10:31 AM

ArlaJo,
I was in Tacoma just last night. I'm over in Mason County about an hr.'s drive from you. Would you like to chat & see how it goes? I'm very much alone out here where I live. My sewing mach. is my best friend these days. LOL.
I finally found a quilt grp. in Belfair but am kind of disappointed in it since very few people are showing up during the summer. I go to Ariz. for 6 months of winter so summer is when I need them. My email address is "[email protected]" if you'd like to get acquainted.

Pat

mjhaess 07-25-2013 12:19 PM

Try joining a quilting guild in your area if available.

mama's place 07-25-2013 01:27 PM

I would like a quilting buddy too but sadly no one on here is close enough. My little town does not have a quilt shop, a guild, etc. Just have to do it on my own. LOL

starshine 07-25-2013 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ArlaJo (Post 6194029)
I live in Tacoma WA and I would like to meet people in my area that like to quilt. Maybe meet once a month to share?

If you put Tacoma in the subject line it may get the attention of members in that area. Some one in admin such as Patricej may be able to help with that. If I can find the person in our monthly secret pal swap group that is in Tacoma I'll give her a heads up.

cricket_iscute 07-25-2013 05:51 PM

I have a quilting buddy who has become a good friend. I offered to teach her quilting in exchange for some time on the quilts for homeless families I make. Could you do something like that? Maybe put an ad on a bulletin board near your home?

Nexxus831 07-25-2013 07:53 PM

Hi ArlaJo, I live in Tacoma. I usually quilt alone so having a buddy would be nice. I occasionally go sew at Evergreen Quilt Shop. She doesn't charge a thing and you can use the machines there if you need to. What kind of sewing time do you have? I have school age kids but I can meet during the day, which I prefer. Drop me an email and let me know what you had in mind. Thanks again Starshine for sending me this link. Your awesome. Cheers, Melinda