Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   Mardens in Maine - anybody for a get together?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/mardens-maine-anybody-get-together-t188997.html)

mim 05-14-2012 04:38 PM

Mardens in Maine - anybody for a get together??

Last week I went to Mardens in Elsworth to check out their fabrics and today I was in Portland for an appointment. So I checked out the Mardens in South Portland. What a really great display -- crowded in Elsworth and spread out in SP.

Lots of colors and variety of quilting cottons as well as flannels and, in SP, a good variety of upholstery and decoratot fabrics. Of course the real attraction is their priced -- from 3.49 to 5.99 a yard for the cottons. They also had a dozen or so of the 120" wide cottons.

I will be going down to Portland several times during the summer -- My eye surgeon is there. It's an hour and a half drive, but he is expert at what is going on with my sight.

If you are interested in a get-togetheer, PM me and we will see avout a date.

Mim -- In Cushing for the summer.

pinecone 05-14-2012 05:03 PM

Isn't Marden's great? Dad has a Dr. in Portland but no appts. are booked. (fingers crossed) I like the Sanford one too. Most of my pennies are waiting for Keepsake's tent sale and DD's wedding. I'll keep you in mind though.

piney

mim 05-14-2012 05:10 PM

I've never been to Keepsakes sale -- and I really don't need any fabric right now anyways. I did buy several half yard pieces for my baseball swap in July. For any Baseball fane, it is a group of quilters who bet 6-1/32" squares on the outcome of games. -- My team loses, I owe you a piece, etc. Lots of fun and keeps us active with our fav teams.

Mim

ILoveToQuilt 05-15-2012 06:13 AM

Where is the So Portland store? I often go up to Cabela's in Scarborough and So Portland is the next town up. Been to the Sanford store and was impressed. Live in NH and it is about a 2 hour drive to So Portland, 1 1/2 hours to Sanford.

mim 05-15-2012 07:27 AM

Mardens is on Rte 1 actually in Scarboro -- it is next to lowes -- I think closer to SP than Cabellas.

I've never been to the Sanford store. Isn't it wonderful that we have so many to choose from??
Mim

jeaninmaine 05-15-2012 03:22 PM

There's a Mardens on Maine St. in Lewiston too that has a nice fabric dept.

pinecone 05-15-2012 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by mim (Post 5217100)
I've never been to Keepsakes sale -- and I really don't need any fabric right now anyways.

I love the make your own scrap bags. whatever you can stuff in a bag they hand out - and close- is $5. It is boxes of random sized pieces they set out. I manage to squeeze enough fabric in a bag that it comes to about 86 cents/yard!! BTW, I don't need more fabric either but it is my once a year guilty pleasure.

piney

mim 05-16-2012 05:50 AM

when is their sale?? I may be able to wander over. it sounds like a blast. What time do yoy get there?? and how long is the line to get in??

Mim

Originally Posted by pinecone (Post 5220012)
I love the make your own scrap bags. whatever you can stuff in a bag they hand out - and close- is $5. It is boxes of random sized pieces they set out. I manage to squeeze enough fabric in a bag that it comes to about 86 cents/yard!! BTW, I don't need more fabric either but it is my once a year guilty pleasure.

piney

pinecone 05-16-2012 09:06 AM

The sale is the first Friday and Saturday in June and starts at 8:00AM. I try to get there around 7:00 AM and the line is across the front of the porch and mostly down the side as well. Some camp out overnight!! I might get in the tents around 9 but the people there are good and the time flies. The economy has hit there as everywhere. It used to be the line was off the porch by 6:30AM! I only go one day now but it is my chance to connect with some nice people and get some good deals.

piney

harvsstuff 05-24-2012 08:39 AM

I've only been to Mardens once when we went up to NH last July
but stocked up on 30's & 40's and Thimbleberry fabric. the good news is
I'm moving from Fl. to NH the first of August so I will be going to maine often to shop there. I also have
been to the Keepsake Quilting store for the summer sales its a blast plenty for everyone.