Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   Pacific International Quilt Festival XXIII - Oct 16-19 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/pacific-international-quilt-festival-xxiii-oct-16-19-a-t245836.html)

tropit 04-27-2014 05:26 AM

Pacific International Quilt Festival XXIII - Oct 16-19

I know, it's a ways off, but I've never been to this show and I was wondering if anyone else has and what to expect. I'm trying to decide if I need to bump another engagement during that time in order to go. Input please...thanks.

~ Cindy

KalamaQuilts 04-27-2014 05:48 AM

Is this the one that used to be in Seattle and was moved to Tacoma I think?

tropit 04-27-2014 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 6692993)
Is this the one that used to be in Seattle and was moved to Tacoma I think?

No, this one is in Santa Clara, CA.
~ C

cfuzzy 04-28-2014 12:39 PM

It's a big show held at the Santa Clara Convention Center. Lots of women book hotel rooms and stay for a night or two, especially if doing workshops and there are quite a few of those. I'm only about 35 minutes south so go with a gf for a long day and always leave exhausted, overstimulated and happy. Love seeing so many quilts and from distant lands. Oh and lots of vendors to enjoy. Always find something I need (wink) or want. We look forward to going every year, at least ten years now. Don't know what your other choice is but this one is a winner!

justme CA 04-29-2014 08:34 AM

This is really a neat show and worth seeing. If you are on the Mendocino Coast you'd really need to stay one night for otherwise you'd be too tired to drive home. It's a great show and I think you'd be glad you went.

tropit 04-30-2014 06:30 AM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I'll go! Yeah...I'll definitely need a hotel. I could stay with my son in Berkeley, but that's too far away too. I hate staying in those generic, business hotels. Does anyone have any hotel suggestions? I'm looking for charm and character...and safety.

~ Cindy

Roma Bauder 05-01-2014 02:35 PM

Cindy ... there is a quilt doings at the expo in Portland this week end

tropit 05-05-2014 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Roma Bauder (Post 6699837)
Cindy ... there is a quilt doings at the expo in Portland this week end

Darn...I just missed that one. I would really like to go up to Portland and visit the area. I'll have to plan for another show. (See my other post on Quilt Knit Stitch.)

Sewnoma 05-29-2014 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 6697803)
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I'll go! Yeah...I'll definitely need a hotel. I could stay with my son in Berkeley, but that's too far away too. I hate staying in those generic, business hotels. Does anyone have any hotel suggestions? I'm looking for charm and character...and safety.

~ Cindy

I went to this show last year and it was great! Biggest show I've ever been to, and I had fun recognizing quilts on display that I'd seen in magazines. I live in Sonoma county (so we're sort of close) and I stayed in the Hilton that's right across the street from the convention center. It's not particularly charming, but it's nice and clean and I felt perfectly safe there AND it was so easy to just walk across the street to go to the show. I will probably go again this year and stay there again - having Great America right there is great too (the Hilton is literally contained within the Great America parking lot) - that way my DH can go ride the roller coasters (which I hate) while I geek out at the quilt show!

tropit 05-31-2014 06:06 AM

Thanks, Sewnoma...I'll check out the Hilton. I don't love the corporate hotel thing, but SAFE is a big priority for me. I'm pretty brave, for the most part, but I've had some scary things happen while traveling alone in the past and I definitely want to feel secure and protected.
~ Cindy