Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   quilting cruise (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/quilting-cruise-t218325.html)

GagaSmith 04-05-2013 10:53 AM

quilting cruise

I have read some old threads about those of you who have gone on quilting cruises. I wonder if any of you have used this company and if you were pleased with the experience.
I am looking at the two Carribean cruises next Jan. and Feb.
I would be great if others from the board could go too!

http://www.sewmanyplaces.com/trips.html

mpspeedy2 04-05-2013 11:01 AM

I have cruised on all of those cruise lines and been to all the cruises on this side of the Atlantic. Of all of them I was the least pleased with Carnival. That was before their recent troubles. I am not sure I would want to drag all of my sewing and quilting stuff with me on a ship. While you soon get used to the motion I am not sure how that would work when you were trying to use your machine etc. I am sure I took some handquilting with me as I always have something to work on by hand. Most of the names of the teachers I was not familiar with and I actually belonged to a group of professional quilting teachers and speakers that are active in the Mid Atlantic area. I hope someone else who has been on one of these cruises answers your inquiry. The other question I would have is what are you going to do with your hubby? I physically would have a problem without mine as I am leagally disabled.

QuiltnNan 04-05-2013 11:12 AM

wow, almost any place in the world one would dream of going. it's always been in my mind to go on one of these.

GagaSmith 04-05-2013 03:26 PM

mpspeedy2 to answer your questions the sewing machines and all materials are furnished--you don't have to bring your own. It is a whole ship full of people and only about 30-40 are there for the quilting. My hubby could join other quilter's husbands or just spend his time doing any of the activities on the ship. I would not be quilting the entire time. Can just sign up for the classes I want to take. The days we are in ports we would spend together sightseeing etc.

LindaR 04-06-2013 05:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just returned from a cruise to the virgin islands on Royal Carribean. it was great...sailed out of Baltimore, Ma, first stop Porto Rico...2 days of sewing and then 4 days island hopping and then 3 days back sewing. would go again in a flash...McCalls Mag has a cruise in Feb, 14 that is very reasonable priced, sails out of Cape Canaveral, Fl. so tempting LOL the quilt kit we made was included in the price of the cruise, so many free giveaways, auctions, drawing names..obtw...bought a new sewing machine...janome horizon...it is wonderful...thats what we used on the ship LOL

Sandi 04-06-2013 05:39 AM

Sew Many Places is run by Jim West who is on Facebook and is one of the nicest guys to talk with;
also speaks highly of his mother too. I haven't been on a quilt cruise but I would go on one he provides. I would stay away from Carnivale these days. Happy hunting and traveling. BTW Jim West initiated the Irish Quilt Festival.

dcamarote 04-06-2013 05:45 AM

I have cruised about 10 times and love it but never thought to do a quilting cruise. I will have to consider this.

ziegamomma 04-06-2013 07:15 AM

We were supposed to go on the next Carnival cruise after the stranded cruise. I am so glad I was not on THAT cruise. Carnival is sending us so many special offers, I expect any day an offer to pay me to get on their ship LOL.
We spent so little time at sea on our Alaska cruise that I would have had time to open my machine, and if I was awake, I was on the balcony. It was awesome!

B J 04-07-2013 05:33 AM

Quilting Cruise

Originally Posted by GagaSmith (Post 5980089)
I have read some old threads about those of you who have gone on quilting cruises. I wonder if any of you have used this company and if you were pleased with the experience.
I am looking at the two Carribean cruises next Jan. and Feb.
I would be great if others from the board could go too!

http://www.sewmanyplaces.com/trips.html

I have done several cruises but never a quilting cruise. There are so many activites on a ship that the husbands would never get bored. We prefer the Carnival cruise line. Most of the trips we have taken were on Carnival because of all the activities for both adults and children. We will be taking another trip on Carnival in 2014 and will be doing some quilting on that one. Hope you enjoy the cruise you decide to take.

Jakers1 04-07-2013 05:43 AM

I took a quilting cruise on Royal Caribbean and it was my first cruise. I did not take too many classes, so I could enjoy the ship as well. My roommate got sea sick (as did a lot of others) but there is medication on board for that. I learned some things about quilting and the areas we visited, got to swim with dolphins, ride a horse on the beach, and flew over Jamaica. The machines, cutters, irons, thread, fabric, and everything else was provided. Lots of activities on board, or just relax and read a book or three.