San Antonio Texas

Old 10-13-2010, 10:37 AM

Hi Everyone - I'm going to San Antonio 11/5 thru 11/8. I'll be staying around the Riverwalk. Are there any quilt shops close by that I could visit? Are there anything near by that would be really good to vist other that quilty stuff? I plan on going to the Alamo but I'm not sure what else. Places to eat etc? Thanks in advance for any help you can give. By the way, what's the weather like there in early November? I'll need to know what to bring to wear.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:46 AM

How to be able to go to San Anton! It's been years since I have been there. Would love to go around Christmas.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:49 AM

Oh drat, I am going the week before you! We could've got lost together.
I asked the same question a couple weeks ago and someone told me Las Colches Quilt shop. I looked it up but can't tell how far it will be from my hotel on the riverwalk).
Hope you get some replies
BTW DH checked the weather and it's high 20'sC this week.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:17 PM

Wear light weight clothing and maybe bring a very light jacket for after sunset. Probably can wear shorts in the daytime with short sleeves. We have highs in the 80's in Dallas and we are north by quite a ways.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 PM

Seventh Heaven, a quilt shop is on New Braunfels street--great shop!

McNay Museum is very close to the quilt shop and this is another great site.

Witte Museum is on Broadway about 2-3 miles from the Riverwalk.

Quarry Mall is north of Riverwalk and is truly awesome. If you like Italian food, try Paseano's. One of their best meals is Shrimp Paseano--very yummy!

Lots of restaurants on the Riverwalk. Also Rivercenter Mall has tons of stores.

If you can get north of San Antonio to a quaint German town named New Braunfels, there are two quilt shops--Quilt Haus and Oak Leaf.

You could "visit" San Antonio for a month with still stuff to do.

Contact me for more info if you need it!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:58 PM

San Antonio's climate is mild, but it can be pretty nippy in November, especially down along the river. Think layers, so you can peel off what you don't need. And take your most comfortable, supportive shoes, because you can easily walk for miles. One of the best places to eat is The Guenther House (http://www.guentherhouse.com/). It's an old home cum flour mill and has a lot of interesting things to see and a unique little gift shop, and it's very near the river and Hemisfair Plaza. Don't miss the Governor's Palace and don't forget the beautiful Art Deco buildings downtown, and of course, San Fernando Cathedral, which has the ashes of some of the heroes of the Alamo. If you have time, you can go out to the market, but it's become so tacky and touristy that it's not much fun anymore. There's a big restaurant there, Mi Tierra, but the food is, alas, mediocre, at best. But the big sugar cookies they bake there are super. There are a number of really incredible museums there, too - small, but real jewels. Sometimes I drive over just for a day of museum hopping. I think I've just talked myself into another San Antonio jaunt. <G>
Old 10-14-2010, 06:02 PM

The weather should still be nice. Maybe in the 80's with a little cooler nights. Don't usually get a freeze until late in the month or later.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:20 AM

Greetings Marguerite! I have live in SA for over sixty years and walking the river at night is a great experience with lights etc. When you are on street level, walk Houston Street and you will eventually get to an area that has all kinds of boutiques and other stores that are great to browse but NO QUILT Stores. Las Colchas is a people friendly quilt shop but is definitely not within walking distance from the riverwalk. It is located on Ogden St, BTW. Besides the Alamo there is the Institute of Texas Cultures, Hemisfair Plaza, Market Street. Go to Casa Rio Restaurant, fine mexican cuising, and ask any of the locals. From there you go up to street level and you are very close to Market Square. La Villita also has stores to browse. Have a great time and let me know if this helps.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:23 AM

BTW, I forgot to mention the weather and attire Right now we are experiencing high 40's and 50' but it really warms up fast, mid to high 80's during the day. The attire is not different than CA., shorts, jeans etc. No fancy places except some things like the Majestic Theatre or high end restaurants. Hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:24 AM

I just returned from that area. The weather was great! Cool evenings. Pretty warm in the days, but not hot. linda