Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Sew-in retreat weekend, all welcome! >

Sew-in retreat weekend, all welcome!

Sew-in retreat weekend, all welcome!

Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The Military Barracks Quilt Project for soldiers in Farah, Afghanistan is still on-going. We have received over 70 of the 128 quilts/tops we hoped for and are ready to ship the second box on 10/19 to our soldiers. Much work remains to be done to meet our goal of covering all 128 men in this battery in Farah, Afghanistan. The end-date has been extended through December and into January.

Funds have been donated for the use of a big, bright room in the beautiful Bedford (VA) Welcome Center for a 2-day sew-in, Friday and Saturday, Nov. 5th and 6th, 9 til 5pm.

We need quilters of all skill levels to help piece backings, make bindings, layer, iron, baste, quilt, and bind the unfinished tops you have so generously sent. Snacks and drinks are being donated by local restaurants. Door prizes are also being donated as gifts for the workers. There is a kitchen on site and 2 restrooms. Parking and access are easy, one level. The view is wonderful!

Bedford is a quaint little town with a couple of decent motels, several B & B's, many interesting restaurants, and things to see and do for DHs during the day. The amazing D-Day Memorial is here and the Peaks of Otter and Blue Ridge Parkway are just minutes away.

Please consider making this a retreat weekend to sew with new and old friends and to serve our soldiers who continue to serve us.

If you are able to attend, or even *think* you might, please contact Jan in VA via PM. WE NEED YOU!

Jan in VA
Old 10-16-2010, 11:22 AM

Jan,
I will be with you in spirit as I am not allowed to travel that far.
I am still sewing on tops for you here at home, and have one quilt 3/4 done.

I am so proud we have 70 tops donated thus far.

Keep on sewing, Team!!
Old 10-16-2010, 12:42 PM

Great !!! Sounds like a Good Time, Hope you have plenty of help show up, I'm a bit far to get there but, who knows you may reach your goal that day !! How exciting would that be!! Good Luck
Old 10-16-2010, 12:56 PM

Wish i could be there!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
Jan,
I will be with you in spirit as I am not allowed to travel that far.
I am still sewing on tops for you here at home, and have one quilt 3/4 done.

I am so proud we have 70 tops donated thus far.

Keep on sewing, Team!!
Purplemem,
Thank you for tops at home still; we'll need them. A reminder, if you have gotten as far as quilting, but have not bound them, send them on if you need to. We have a volunteer here who has offered to bind some for us.

I thank the rest of you for warm wishes, too. We'll be thinking of you and will give an iced tea toast to those there in spirit!

Jan in VA
Old 11-07-2010, 04:04 PM

Jan,
I bet you're exhausted! How many quilts were completed this weekend? I thought you did a great job of organizing the event! Congratulations on a successful project.
Joanne
Old 11-07-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Calico92402
Jan,
I bet you're exhausted! How many quilts were completed this weekend? I thought you did a great job of organizing the event! Congratulations on a successful project.
Joanne
You sweetheart!! Coming to Bedford all the way from NC to sew with us! Sue has your ruler, BTW, and is trying to make contact with you to return it.

We wrapped up by 4:30 Saturday with over 20 completed (differing counts, LOL!), and a few in near completion stage, a great help on the path. They'll all be dragged to the commercial laundry this week and then shipped to Afghanistan.

I loved meeting and working with you! Thank you again for making the time and effort to come up and help!

Hugs,
jan