Should I go to Des Moines?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:43 AM

My hubby is going on a 3 day business trip there and has asked if I would like to go. How are the quilt shops in the area? What else could I do during the day while he is working? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Georgia in FL
Old 10-25-2010, 07:45 AM

There is a lot to do in Des Moines (I am from Ames). Science Center, Great Zoo, Historical Museum, shopping. Many lovely quilt shops close around towns (we have a great one in Ames - just north). Come on down to Iowa.!!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:56 AM

If you are flying check local shops to see if they have a class you would like to take and will rent machines. If driving just put machine, etc in car like a mini retreat.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 AM
np3
Power Poster

I'm sure you can find a shop somewhere close!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 AM

Isn't Fons and Porter near Des Moines?
Old 10-26-2010, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Isn't Fons and Porter near Des Moines?
It's in Winterset, small town south of DM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 AM

There are several quilt shops in the close proximity to
DesMoines. The Quilt Block in West DesMoines,Creek Side in
Clive,Quilters Cupboard in Ankeny,Quilt Connection is in
Ames,Fons and Porter at Winterset. Need to find out where
you would be staying .. The hotel personnel should be able
to help with directions
Old 10-26-2010, 02:41 PM

Oh yes, you should come to Des Moines! We have some great quilt shops in and around Des Moines. Oh believe me I have pretty much found them all!! Bring some warm clothing - it is starting to get chilly here. You can always PM me and I can fill you in some more.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM

Quilt Block in Valley Junction (original name of the city of West Des Moines and the name used for the old downtown area of WDM). Creekside Quilting in Clive (another suburb of Des Moines). Ankeny (north of DM a few miles) also has a quilt shop. Ames, Adel, and Grinnell (a little ways away from DM) all have quilt shops. (Grinnell is the city quilt designer Judy Martin calls home.) Winterset, not too far from DM, is home to Fons and Porter and their quilt shop. Indianola, another nearby town, also has a quilt shop.

Unfortunately, you are a month too late for the AQS show in Des Moines. It was wonderful!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:36 PM

I live in Des Moines.

I'd save myself the trip to Winterset, unless you want to see John Wayne's birthplace, the covered bridges or Francesca's house... when I went to Fons and Porter's store, there wasn't anything there you couldn't get from the magazine.

I like The Quilt Block (that's where I got started)--there used to be another quilt store in Valley Junction but it's gone out of business. Creekside is worth the trip, and probably the quilt store in Ankeny. Ames has a really good fabric store, and the one in Indianola is good too, although it's been years since I've been there.

And a new attraction is the Pappajohn Sculpture Garden (outside, downtown). The Art Center and Salisbury House are also worth visits. The governor's mansion, called Terrace Hill, is an 1870s mansion, very interesting to see.

And there's always the big new mall, out west, called Jordan Creek if you're into shopping. There's also a revived part of Des Moines called East Village, with lots of interesting little boutiques. One of my favorite places is called Gong Fu Tea with all sorts of teas from around the world.