Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: visiting DC area...which LQS to visit and how do I get there using public transport?

Help? I'm visiting DC for a conference Nov 5-9, 2011. Are there any great quilting shops I should visit? I'd love to go to Jinny Beyer's Studio in Great Falls VA, but I'm not sure how to get there using public transportation. Any thoughts?

Don't miss "G Street" fabrics in Rockville MD. You can take the Metro from downtown DC to Rockville and walk about a block to G Street fabrics. The name of the store comes from them having been downtown DC years ago,before moving out to Rockville. It's worth the ride and there's a neat French-style restaurant next door. Great place to "park" a husband. Hope you can make it there.
    Floyann

thanks! I went to G Street Fabrics a couple of years ago...it's on my list to 'hit' again!

G Street fabrics moved a couple of years ago ... they are in a newer, smaller location in Rockville. (just FYI) They also have a VA location, which may be more convenient for you. I believe Metro stops are shown on Google maps. You can even get directions "by public transportation" or "by walking"

If you have a chance, visit the Textile Museum in Washington DC... good stuff there!

Blog Entries
    Rent a car and go to WebFabrics in Purceville, VA - about 20 miles from D.C. It's a pretty ride (past Leesburg) and well worth the trip.

Unfortunately you missed a great LQS in VA, called "The Artful Quilter", it just closed its door early October, it was a great and very pretty store.

Please check their website for new address as they have moved "around the corner".

Quote Originally Posted by fruitsengineer
    Unfortunately you missed a great LQS in VA, called "The Artful Quilter", it just closed its door early October, it was a great and very pretty store.
    yes, too bad you wont get to go to artful quilter. it was a really wonderful shop!

g street seems much smaller now, especially the quilting department. they still have lots of "sparkly" stuff (sequins, specialty fabrics), though.

will you actually stay in d.c., maryland or virginia?

Actually, you are going to have a difficult time getting to any quilt shop without a car. Jinny Beyer's Studio (in Great Falls) and the Virginia G Street shop (in Centerville) are both too far from the a metro stop without taking a cab. I think the price of retail space near the district is too expensive for a quilt shop to survive.

For a current list of shops that are nearest DC, here's a list of the stores participating in the annual shop hop:

http://www.quiltersquest.org/shops.html

Hi there.....not quilt related HOWEVER worth cheking out. Go to Dreamworks ICE show washington DC area and I hope it all comes up for you. let me know?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast