Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
2 Fabric Applique Quilts - 2FAQ >

2 Fabric Applique Quilts - 2FAQ

2 Fabric Applique Quilts - 2FAQ

Old 08-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

2 fabric appliqué quilts (2FAQ) are designed by Nancy Lee Chong or Pacific Rim Quilt Company - http://prqc.com/2faq.htm They are approximately 24x36” finished, and are typically made with needle turn appliqué. I’ve made several of these over the past few years. They are quick projects, very portable, and they make good gifts. I think these projects are also useful for learning needle turn appliqué, since you’re not fighting with multiple layers and tiny pieces when you’re making them.

I haven’t seen finished 2FAQ quilts on the quilting board (maybe they’re there and I just missed them), so thought I would display a few of mine and invite others to post theirs as well. I have also finished the peacock, but it is not quilted yet, and I’m working (rather slowly) on the giraffes.

These little quilts require only two pieces of fabric (not counting the backing), cut at about 27x39”. You trace the pattern onto one piece, then layer the two and baste them together. You can baste by hand or machine, either beside the traced design lines or in a grid. I baste by machine in a grid pattern, with lines about 3” apart. You pick a place to start with the appliqué, usually along a fairly straight line segment, and **carefully** snip the fabric along the traced line for about 2 inches, just enough to get started with the needle turn. You continue to cut the fabric along the traced line as you stitch. Some of the top fabric falls away to reveal the bottom fabric. When you’ve finished, you can add batting and backing and quilt the little quilt, or you can add more blocks and/or borders to incorporate your appliqué in a lap or bed quilt. That is what I want to do with the peacock, and possibly with the giraffe. I have friends who have incorporated their 2FAQ into queen-sized quilts.

my favorite 2FAQ pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241125[/ATTACH]

I did trapunto on this one
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241127[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-241119.jpe   attachment-241120.jpe   attachment-241121.jpe   attachment-241123.jpe   attachment-241125.jpe  

attachment-241126.jpe  
Old 08-13-2011, 09:24 AM

I love the rose, colors too. They are all beautiful. This project is on my bucket list :thumbup:
Old 08-13-2011, 09:27 AM

Those are amazing applique quilts!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Wow. Love these. Will put this on my bucket list...probably move it up on the list.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:35 AM

Beautiful quilts!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:48 AM
MTS
Banned

Beautifully done, dunster. I like that they have a very finished look to it, probably due to the needleturn.

While the construction method is different, they have a slightly similar look to grammatjr's "diploma fusible" quilts. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130238-1.htm

I really want to try both methods.
Thanks for posting the pics.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
Beautifully done, dunster. I like that they have a very finished look to it, probably due to the needleturn.

While the construction method is different, they have a slightly similar look to grammatjr's "diploma fusible" quilts. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130238-1.htm

I really want to try both methods.
Thanks for posting the pics.
You're right, they do look similar. I wonder if Nancy Chong uses a similar process to come up with her designs. I know I took lots of pictures of giraffes, thinking that I would design a 2FAQ of giraffes, but then Nancy Chong came out with hers, so I abandoned the idea. (I'm sure hers is better than mine would have been anyway.)
Old 08-13-2011, 10:11 AM

Oh my gosh! They are breath taking. I want to learn howto make them.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:15 AM

Thank you for sharing this! I've never seen this technique before and I love applique. This is going to be a nice secondary project for me to do while watching TV! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've done a beautiful job!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

They are beautiful.