Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
2 year quilt for my sister >

2 year quilt for my sister

2 year quilt for my sister

Old 12-29-2011, 08:14 PM

Default 2 year quilt for my sister

It's ridiculous that it took me so long to finish this top! I'd work on it, then lose interest for months at a time. Then I forgot about it. Then I couldn't find it! But the top is finally done. I have no idea what I'll use for backing, but I'll figure something out.

This is a super simple 4-patch. I had the neutral charm pack and bought two of the blue charm packs from someone on this board (thank you, they are gorgeous!). I think the daisy border was scrap fabric I got from someone giving away fabric. I have no idea where the green border fabric came from; it's been too long since I started for me to remember.

Not sure how I'll quilt it. Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm very much a novice with machine quilting and have never done free motion.

This will be a nice size lap blanket for her. It measures approx 58x73.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:16 PM

Very nice!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:19 PM

BEAUTIFUL!!!! CONGRATULATIONS on finishing it!! She will absolutely LOVE it!!! I Have TONS of UFOs - thank you for the inspiration to get them done!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:34 PM
QM
Power Poster

You did well. If you have a good walking foot (or whatever you sewing machine has that is for quilting) and you use a batting that is good for the size of your charms, stitch in the ditch is probably the best for a first time. My preference is Thermore (c) batting and corderoy for backing to make a very snuggly lap quilt. If staying in the ditch (on the seam line) is intimidating, you could sew down the middle of each charm with a pretty variagated thread. My guild teaches that the best is to do a loose meander. Whatever you decide, be sure to press your top well, then use safety pins to attach the layers together. Getting the sandwich really smooth is the key to a smooth finished quilt.

Many people prefer to tie quilts. I don't because I have bum wrists. If you want the fastest possible completion, make your sandwich as batting/backing, face up/top, ace down. Sew most of the way around the outside, then turn it right side out and sew up your opening. Pin again and quilt or tie. This way you don't have to bind it. One other reason NOT to tie is that pets and small people generally love to play with the ties, often untying the quilt.

Good luck. I bet your sister loves the quilt.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:57 AM

Very nice, sometimes the simplest things take the longest to finish but the wait is well worth it......
Old 12-30-2011, 08:17 AM

Well done!