Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 scrappy quilts, same design, different color schemes

amazing how the quilt look changes so dramatically with different colors! you used lots of scraps!

Beautiful quilts and I know how much work goes into scrappy quilts. I made 9 quilts from scraps this year. I am taking a break and making a matchy matchy quilt. Of course I will have even more scraps. I made some fence rail quilts, they use scraps too.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Those are remarkable! You did the machine quilting yourself? On a regular machine? Your quilts are huge. I am so impressed and I love the look of them. You are one ambitious, talented lady!

Quote Originally Posted by maryellen2u View Post
    Those are remarkable! You did the machine quilting yourself? On a regular machine? Your quilts are huge.
    Yes, I am new to machine quilting--at least FMQ. I'm finding it a lot easier than stitch in the ditch, though, which is what i did previously.

A regular machine? Well, that depends on the definition of regular machine. I had a Pfaff Hobby which has about a 6" harp space and quilting stuff on that was almost impossible--very stressful--the feed dogs didn't go down and there was no space!

So, I did some reading and was able to find a new Janome Horizon 7700 here in Poland for under 2K a couple of years ago. It really is easy to FMQ with it. The feed dogs drop with the flip of a switch and there don't seem to be thread issues with the quilting aspect. I can switch from FMQ to sewing with the change of a foot and a flip of a switch for the feed dogs. It is really a nice machine--am very pleased with it. I'd never had a more expensive machine before...but it does make a difference. I'm actually enjoying the quilting part--a lot! I have about 4 more all sandwiched and ready for me to do as soon as it is truly cooler. I've not wanted to handle the hot layers when it is in the 90's, but at the moment it's only 61F...

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Beautiful quilts and I know how much work goes into scrappy quilts. I made 9 quilts from scraps this year. I am taking a break and making a matchy matchy quilt. Of course I will have even more scraps. I made some fence rail quilts, they use scraps too.
    I have to admit that I've done the same--intermingled planned, colorful pretty quilts along with the scrappy. I, like you, only want to do so many before I actually work with fabrics and designs that I choose...

But I'm almost ready to try to make another couple of these as I do have a bag of 1.5" strips again...when I'm in the mood to sew and don't have a real plan...I can just sew strips together.

Oh, and I don't spend much time watching tv. Sometimes people exclaim how much time it all takes....but you have so much more time if you don't spend a couple hours every day watching tv. It can add up fast. Same for the internet!

Power Poster
    Very nice, I like the black one!
    SueDor

Awesome use of scraps.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    WOW!!!!! That's a lot of cutting and sewing! They are awesome!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Beautiful resouceful way to down-size your scraps. They are fun quilts

Very pretty scrap quilts. That was a lot of piecing. Great way to use up scraps. I need to work on using up my scraps. They are taking over my sewing studio. LOL

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast