Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
4P 2 Strip Scrappy and Mini Tut >

4P 2 Strip Scrappy and Mini Tut

4P 2 Strip Scrappy and Mini Tut

Old 06-23-2014, 02:56 PM

Exclamation 4P 2 Strip Scrappy and Mini Tut

That's what I call this quilt! It's worked on the diagonal, at least that's the way I did it. Every 6 rows are repeated. There's a sequence diagonally of light square, light square, 2 strip. Every other block is a 4P. If you are confused easily, this pattern is not for you. It's very easy to make, but you have to be careful joining it together. I made a mistake on 2 blocks and need to reverse them. Both are near the bottom edge and just have the corrected blocks pinned on top; otherwise, it would be very noticeable.

It came together in 3 days' time! The 2 strip blocks form a big X on the diagonal on the right and on the left. There are areas where 4 of the plain squares meet together diagonally separated by a 4P. It's all about contrast so darks and lights are best used in this pattern or it could be done in all brights and lights only. I wanted deep contrast for mine.

The quilt consists of 3 different 4.5" blocks: a 4P, a 2 strip block and a large plain square. Four patches are alternated between the other two blocks in specific patterns and in different sequences vertically from diagonally. In other words, whatever the sequence is vertically, it's the opposite diagonally. They all meet together to form different patterns across the quilt.

Mini Tut Specifications/Instructions:

4P's - cut 2.5" squares
2 Strip - cut 2.5" x 4.5" strips
Plain squares - cut 4.5"
Fin. block: 4"
Quilt top: 44.5 x 52 (without borders)

You can use my quilt as an example by doing the first 6 rows. Then you would repeat the process again for however long you want it. Join the blocks together; join the rows. Finish off as desired.
This quilt started off by my finding a bag of around 90 4P's already made from years ago and forgotten about so that helped in getting it together so quickly. Then all I had to do was pick out blocks from my 4.5" pre-cut squares and using my 2.5" pile of pre-cut strips, this was easy peasy!

One fabric is from my son's pants when he was 4 years old. I love another fabric a friend gave me of a dog's spots and it reminds me of our dog, Cha Cha so I took a pic of her black and white spots to compare the two!

Today's wisdom: Make 4P's from 2.5" squares from time to time and you'll soon have an assortment to choose from! Always keep a pile of 4P's on hand!

I tried to stay consistent with this quilt and wanted to 'mirror' on the bottom half what was on the top half. I decided to stay with the use of large pale yellow squares throughout the quilt as it gives it a more coordinated look. For a tip in joining the dark strips together, try using a dark with a lighter shade of the same color for your pair of strips. A slight difference in color will help keep the quilt interesting looking. As you can see, any print works well in this quilt just as long as darks and lights are contrasted. Have fun with this pattern! n2
Attached Thumbnails further-away.jpg   close-up.jpg   dog-print.jpg   chacha.jpg  
Old 06-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

It's pretty, and I seen the design, but I got confused just reading about it. It doesn't take much to get me confused these days. It is really pretty. Scrappies are so much fun aren't they?
Old 06-23-2014, 03:19 PM

Scrappies sure are FUN to do, but this one sure was a humdinger for me! I think I'll stick to vertical/horizontal patterns from now on!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

great scrappy
Old 06-23-2014, 03:31 PM

Very pretty and interesting./lissa
Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

love scrappy 's nice
Old 06-24-2014, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

Great job!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:04 AM

I lioke all scrappies,yours is cute
Old 06-24-2014, 05:17 PM

Another beautiful scrappy! I don't know how you figure all this out, but they are gorgeous!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:19 PM

I love scrappies. So colorful and happy.