Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
adding phtos to quilts >

adding phtos to quilts

adding phtos to quilts

Old 03-27-2011, 02:22 AM

I would love to know your process too!...I made several photo quilts but the stripeeze ones are fading and the inkjet ones disappeared. Only the June Taylor and Bubble Jet set ones are still showing pictures
Old 03-27-2011, 02:35 AM
Power Poster

i love the quilt!--i have questions though..
does using that glue make the pictures have a (rubbery) coating? like sweatshirt decals?? do you have to wash buy not dry? does the (coating) crack after awhile, like my sweatshirts have?
i've been wanting to start a new memory quilt project, this could really help with the (quality) of pictures :)
Old 03-27-2011, 07:30 PM

Have been away from computer yesterday and today. In answer to some of the questions, No it does not make it rubbery, it has the texture of taffeta. When I started experimenting with the glue, I tried making the solutions at different strengths. If you get the solution too strong it makes the fabric like rainresistant fabric. I use a weak solution, probably about 1 teaspoon to 2 cups of water (I have not measured so this may not be totally accurate, this is where experimenting comes in.) When I was testing it I put one printed photo in the washer 8 times and dried it in the dryer the same many times, I have even put bleach on them.. I have a juki tl98e with little gracie frame and had no problem quilting the fabric at all. I take my photos into spiritual expression by broderbun where I add some things from the clip art and add borders,touchup the colors and whatever I think the photo needs to make it more interesting without taking over the subject that I am showing. After I get the photo like I want it I print on washable inkjet fabric sheets (have used june taylor, and printed treasures. Once I print them, I let them dry but I do not rinse or wash them but I do heat set with as hot iron as the fabric will stand, when cold I dab the glue solution on the printed photos. Do not brush it on simply dab with very wet sponge brush until all of it is very wet. Let it completely dry, then iron with as hot iron as the fabric will allow. I am not sure this step is necessary but I do it anyway. Then I hand wash a couple of times and rinse. After it dries I iron them, sometimes they look a little wrinkled but the wrinkles iron out. I have a brother 8500 which I use to sew my quilt patches together. The main things is it has to be washable printable fabric. When I used these fabric sheets without the glue process they gradually faded out but with it you can even bleach and the colors will not fade. Sometimes the color will run slightly when the glue solution is applied but not much. I use any permanent fabric glue. I particulary like Allene OK to Wash It. If you decide to do this, I suggest you print off a couple of photo sheets to see how your printer and your computer works and experiment with the sheets getting just the right solution mixture that you like and find how you need to edit the colors from the original photos. If you contact me and if you live somewhere in Louisiana I will be happy to show you the ones I have done and help you to do some for yourself. This is probably what I live for. I have a 16 yo gs who is quite a good artist and my next project is to do him a quilt using his own artwork, then I am making my d and sil an anniversary quilt. If you have any more questions just contact me. Sorry so long. gammie