Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: another ESTATE SALE FIND

The "waxy finish" .... Is that what used to be called "polished cotton" or "polished apple" or somesuch?

Quote Originally Posted by mimom
    Quote Originally Posted by loreen
    The middle red, white & blue flower one looks like fabric I had rom nineteen forgetten. My mother told me that it was "fed sack frabric from when she was a girl. She is now in her 80's. I made an apron out of it years ago & used it till it fell apart.
    it doesn't feel any different from regular fabric though, I do have some stuff that has almost like a waxy finish to it but when I hand washed a small piece the finish came off, has anyone ever seen anything like that?

Quote Originally Posted by CorneliaVa
    The "waxy finish" .... Is that what used to be called "polished cotton" or "polished apple" or somesuch?

Quote Originally Posted by mimom
    Quote Originally Posted by loreen
    The middle red, white & blue flower one looks like fabric I had rom nineteen forgetten. My mother told me that it was "fed sack frabric from when she was a girl. She is now in her 80's. I made an apron out of it years ago & used it till it fell apart.
    it doesn't feel any different from regular fabric though, I do have some stuff that has almost like a waxy finish to it but when I hand washed a small piece the finish came off, has anyone ever seen anything like that?
    I wish I knew, it washes out. I know that much for sure, but it feels like table cloth plastic coated stuff prior to washing.

I would guess it is from the 50's

Very cute!

I would guess 60's & 70's. There was 36" fabric until the 80s. 44" started coming in around the 70's but it took quite some time before th 36" disappeared. I find the fabric from the vintage years thinner, I may be wrong for sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2