Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Another scrappy pattern >

Another scrappy pattern

Another scrappy pattern

Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 PM
QM
Power Poster

Default Another scrappy pattern

I saw something like this when I visited the Sisters, Oregon outdoor quilt show (a great event!) For each block, I cut a 7.5" square, a 2.5" square, 2 pieces 2.5 x 7.5" and 4 squares, all scraps, and 4 1.5" squares of muslin for the star points. I do not know if this pattern has a traditional name or if my dimensions are the same as the one DH took a pic of for me. (It was high on a building). I have made several verions of this quilt. For one, all the rectangles were a tangerine fabric I'd been given and didn't care for until I'd made it up. (That picture seems to have disappeared.) On another, I embellished with other crumbs. Pictures 2 and 3 are a UFO that I simply have not had the time or energy to finish since my move.

I spent several days going thru boxes of scraps and cutting them to sizes for this and other projects. I reduced the crumbs by 2/3 in that process, merely getting rid of the absolute trash. Then I had a friend who asked for scraps at a time when I was fairly busy, so I shipped her 2 boxes of precuts. It's amazing how much you can reduce things this way. I made another quilt about the same time entirely of scraps, using the apple core/axehead pattern, which is another good one, but a bit trickier.
Attached Thumbnails cornerstone-star.jpg   scrappy-stars.jpg   scrappy-stars.jpg  
Old 01-23-2012, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by QM View Post
I saw something like this when I visited the Sisters, Oregon outdoor quilt show (a great event!) For each block, I cut a 7.5" square, a 2.5" square, 2 pieces 2.5 x 7.5" and 4 squares, all scraps, and 4 1.5" squares of muslin for the star points. I do not know if this pattern has a traditional name or if my dimensions are the same as the one DH took a pic of for me. (It was high on a building). I have made several verions of this quilt. For one, all the rectangles were a tangerine fabric I'd been given and didn't care for until I'd made it up. (That picture seems to have disappeared.) On another, I embellished with other crumbs. Pictures 2 and 3 are a UFO that I simply have not had the time or energy to finish since my move.

I spent several days going thru boxes of scraps and cutting them to sizes for this and other projects. I reduced the crumbs by 2/3 in that process, merely getting rid of the absolute trash. Then I had a friend who asked for scraps at a time when I was fairly busy, so I shipped her 2 boxes of precuts. It's amazing how much you can reduce things this way. I made another quilt about the same time entirely of scraps, using the apple core/axehead pattern, which is another good one, but a bit trickier.

Great use of scraps. And I love the little connecting star that's formed.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:39 AM
vic

very pretty.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:59 AM

What a great scrappy quilt. Interesting patteren too!
Old 01-24-2012, 02:24 AM

Love the quilt, I've been wanting to make that pattern. http://quilterscache.com/M/MorningStarQuilt.html Here's the pattern.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:46 AM
QM
Power Poster

Yep, that's the one. Mine has smaller pieces because I wanted to make it from the sort of scraps I have. I'm surprised I hadn't seen it.
BTW, in looking back, I see a typo.
It should read.... "2 pieces 2.5 x 7.5", all scraps, and 4 1.5" squares of muslin for the star points. There were a few extra words there."

PS After I'd made this, I decided a border print didn't work well for this job.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Power Poster

I have working on my scraps for a year now. Thnaks for the pattern.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:11 AM

I have made this quilt also. It is called Hidden Stars and in the book Layer Cake, Jelly Roll and Charm Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott. In the book version, the squares are 4 patch. Your quilt is so lovely and makes me smile just to liik at it. Great job. I am impressed that you undertook the Apple Core quilt design. I love the design, but it looks so time consuming and all those curves...when I have more time I will tackle it. Bet yours was beautiful. Keep up the wonderful work.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 AM

Nice job....
Old 01-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

terrific quilt!