I saw something like this when I visited the Sisters, Oregon outdoor quilt show (a great event!) For each block, I cut a 7.5" square, a 2.5" square, 2 pieces 2.5 x 7.5" and 4 squares, all scraps, and 4 1.5" squares of muslin for the star points. I do not know if this pattern has a traditional name or if my dimensions are the same as the one DH took a pic of for me. (It was high on a building). I have made several verions of this quilt. For one, all the rectangles were a tangerine fabric I'd been given and didn't care for until I'd made it up. (That picture seems to have disappeared.) On another, I embellished with other crumbs. Pictures 2 and 3 are a UFO that I simply have not had the time or energy to finish since my move.
I spent several days going thru boxes of scraps and cutting them to sizes for this and other projects. I reduced the crumbs by 2/3 in that process, merely getting rid of the absolute trash. Then I had a friend who asked for scraps at a time when I was fairly busy, so I shipped her 2 boxes of precuts. It's amazing how much you can reduce things this way. I made another quilt about the same time entirely of scraps, using the apple core/axehead pattern, which is another good one, but a bit trickier.