Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Antique Eye Candy

Blog Entries

Antique Eye Candy

I'm back with a couple new pieces and a question. The four poster quilt sent in today was purchased at an estate sale in Bath ME. The binding is not in the best shape but part of it is green and part is red, as though the maker ran out of one color. I am not familiar with this pattern. If the curator comes in tomorrow I'll see if she can add any information. The other pictures are of an old hexie piece approximately 13 inches square and I have quite a stack of them. The basting and heavy paper pieces or light cardboard are still in place as is the basting which does not show on the front. Beautiful piecing.My question is why all the empty diamond spots between the hexies?
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Debbie
    Machine It

I wonder if the hexies was going to be stitched on to a piece of fabric? Or the diamonds are somewhere missing the hexies? I love love love love the first quilt and will take any and all information you can come up with for it.

Blog Entries
    very pretty, love the hexies
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I'm wondering if the original quilter was going to treat the hexagon piece like you would a piece made from yo-yos and applique it onto a background fabric.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    ​I think she just didn't get around to piecing in the little diamond shapes between the hexagons. I don't know the pattern of the first quilt but it's pretty.

Love this first one and like the way the hexies look on the teal-ish background. Nice!

Maybe the hexies are just supposed to nestle into each other and not have any spaces between? Just shift over the row and see if they fit.....Love the old antique quilt and hope you are able to get more info on it.

Power Poster
    very nice!!!!
    QUILTNMO

Diamonds to be added between those hexies....either have been "lost" or not done yet......love that first one too! Where did you get these treasures? Are they yours or belong to a museum?

Might just be a contemporary quilt way before it's time. Love the Hex quilt too.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast