Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Antique Family Quilts >

Antique Family Quilts

Antique Family Quilts

Old 07-16-2014, 05:08 PM

Default Antique Family Quilts

My mother inherited these quilts with the passing of my grandmother. I got them given to me when I started telling my mother what she needed to do to take care of them. Mom just smiled and said why don't you just take them now, you'd get them eventually anyway. The only condition is that they can never be sold. The first one is the oldest, made in 1872, as a baby quilt for my great-grandfather by his mother. It was the very first thing she sewed on her very first sewing machine...she even machine quilted it. It's made with 5 different red shirtings for the blocks. The 2nd one is dark blue (with small white stars) and white. It is a community quilt made by the Ladies Union Aid Society in 1889 (written in the corners of the quilt) and includes the names of more than 320 people (including about 50 relatives) living mostly in Stephenson Co, IL or Green Co, WI. The patch work is not the greatest (completed by hand) but the quilting is very nice. There are 2 red & white quilts that I have no information about when they were made or by whom. The plain red is a Jacob's Ladder set on point and the quilting is very nice in diagonal lines. The blue and white quilt bears a label saying that it was handmade by my great grandmother and her mother. I believe Hattie did the piecing and her mother quilted it. It is very, very finely quilted with fans and hearts over the patchwork and a wave pattern in the border (matching the border of the community quilt almost exactly). My mother says that this quilt was always on her grandmother's bed and even in my earliest memories of the room that my great grandmother had at my grandparents house, I can remember the blue and white patches. Unfortunately, one section is badly sun faded from the window. The last two are string quilts made by Hattie for my mother and her twin brother. Both are machine quilted. I feel very blessed to have received these quilts and cherish them dearly. My grandmother sewed every day and made the most beautiful clothes but she never quilted. As a quilter, it's nice to be able to reconnect with a quilting heritage in my family. I hope you all enjoy the pictures. Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails elizabeth-emrick-hassinger-1872.jpg   luas-1889.jpg   luas-1889-harlain-hassinger.jpg   hatties-quilt.jpg   red-white-jacobs-ladder.jpg  

red-white-shirting-quilt.jpg   hattie-string-quilt-1950s.jpg   hatties-string-quilt-sashing-1950s.jpg  

Last edited by Koriana; 07-16-2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-16-2014, 05:28 PM

What a wonderful heritage! You are so fortunate to be able to touch your family history. Very happy for you!
Old 07-16-2014, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

What treasures you have been given. They are all beautiful. The light blue & white star is a pattern I haven't seen before. Thank you for sharing them.
peace
Old 07-16-2014, 05:31 PM

WOW, you need to take good care of those!! How wonderful.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:32 PM

Wow, what a lot of wonderful quilts. How good it is to see things that were made many, many years ago and we are still able to enjoy them. Thanks so much for posting them and explaining about them.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:40 PM

Your so lucky to have such treasures.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:43 PM

What precious treasures! It's wonderful that you know so much about them. I love the light blue and white quilt!
Old 07-16-2014, 05:44 PM

Thank you for sharing your wonderful antique quilts!!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 05:58 PM

Thank you for sharing your beautiful treasures! I heard a speaker at our guild saying quilts have been machine quilted for 100+ years. You have proof.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:38 PM

So beautiful! Enjoy them.