Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Antique Quilt? >

Antique Quilt?

Antique Quilt?

Old 12-03-2010, 02:44 PM

My SIL recently gave me this quilt that she found in her attic. She doesn't know any details, but she lives on the James River in Virginia and there's a centennial home on the property. Since I'm a new quilter, I don't know much about old fabrics, patterns, etc. The quilt is completely handmade. Any thoughts on how to clean it, how old it might be, what the pattern is, etc.? Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

close up of one of the blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]137724[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-137717.jpe   attachment-137718.jpe   attachment-137719.jpe  
Old 12-03-2010, 02:49 PM

The pattern is LeMoyne star I know that. I know it is very old but around what date I am not sure. 50ish maybe. As far as cleaning I heard from a speaker I just heard recently to vacuum old quilt with a diffuser on the end of the hose, some thing like a screen. I would not put it in the washer. I might try hand washing even with the size of it and hang it or lay it out to dry if you have the room.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:53 PM

It's a LeMoine Star pattern and from the looks of the pictures, there are some REALLY old fabrics in it that will probably not stand up to washing it. I would just hang it outside and let it air out. A quilt appraisor once told me "sometimes, you just have to love them as they are." My guess is that the dyes used have changed some of the colors to what they are now. You have a real treasure. Have you considered donating it to a museum in the area? I would guess that some of the fabrics may be from the the early 1900's. What ever you do, handle it with care.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Cyn

It's really nice. I think it would have to be really dirty for me to wash it. I'd just air it out and see if that would do.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:55 PM

Interesting! I have a quilt that my grandmother made using the same pattern. I think she used fabrics from the 40s and 50 in it, but the quilt was probably made in the 70s. Yes, she had a stash just like we do that we will never outlive. I just wish I knew what happened to her stash now that she's gone. :cry:

The pattern is the LeMoyne Star.

Quilt my grandmother gave me
[ATTACH=CONFIG]137726[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-137721.jpe   attachment-137722.jpe   attachment-137723.jpe  
Old 12-03-2010, 03:05 PM

I agree with the guess that these are pre-1930s fabrics. If the quilt is in overall good condition and is very dirty, you can soak it in a bathtub with Woolite or Fels Naptha soaps, gently squishing the water through the quilt with your hands. Then empty out the water and do it again if needed, and rinse it in the same way. Gently roll it to get excess water out - Don't Wring it!! Be careful how you handle the delicate fabrics when wet...the water weight itself could damage the quilt. You can roll it with towels to get it a little dryer, then lay it completely flat to dry, preferably indoors.

You have a wonderful treasure there. You are a lucky girl!!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
It's a LeMoine Star pattern and from the looks of the pictures, there are some REALLY old fabrics in it that will probably not stand up to washing it. I would just hang it outside and let it air out. A quilt appraisor once told me "sometimes, you just have to love them as they are." My guess is that the dyes used have changed some of the colors to what they are now. You have a real treasure. Have you considered donating it to a museum in the area? I would guess that some of the fabrics may be from the the early 1900's. What ever you do, handle it with care.
I was going to say early 1900's too. Some of the blue fabrics look that old.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:24 PM

Beautiful quilt! It looks very, very old to me.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:26 PM

do you have a local quilt guild? They might know of an appraiser in your area or can direct you to someone with knowledge of antique quilts. I would do nothing to it until I had a professional look at it then I would get it insured depending on value.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Banned

before washing please let an appraiser look at it. It might be worth a whole lot of money just the way it is. I would be scared to wash it. The weight of the water may just cause it to disintegrate right in the tub before you can even get it out to roll dry.