Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Attic windows WIP help needed!

Attic windows WIP help needed!

I made attic windows out of this fabric and didn't want to waist one bit of it...it came out at an odd size, and I'm stuck as to where to go with it. It is 52 1/2 x 92! so it really doesn't need much on length at all, it's nearly long enough for a queen size bed as is. But it's skinny. I definitely need to continue the thin blue the rest of the way around, but then what? My 1st though was to make shutters with the greys for either side, I'm open to any help to make it look 3d... maybe alternating rows of light/dark with HST of the blue on each end? Does that make any sense at all? or very thin strips (maybe 1x10" finished) of the dark blue inside their own attic window blocks? Would that look more like a shutter? Thoughts please!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No need to continue the 3D effect. I think you will take away from the center if you try to replicate 3D in the border. A single thin border of blue all the way around that you mentioned and then one or both of your grays on either side will frame this beautiful AW quilt quite nicely I think. You could make like piano key of alternating light and dark gray running in horizontal "coin" stacks on either side or go with just a solid.

Blog Entries
    I just made one and to make the size I needed, I added a solid border all around, 6" on top and bottom and 10" on each side.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sandraa; 01-13-2012 at 12:29 PM.

It is very pretty. I have been wanting to make one but just not sure about it. I don't have any suggestions for you though. I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions. Good luck.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/BarbAndVivsQuilts?view_type=gallery

Blog Entries
    What about some kind of piecing on the sides (that is, after you turn your picture 90 degrees), that would look like either wood paneling, or wall paper, so that it really does look like a window in a wall.

I like the moons in the windows .. neat effect.
    Cathy

Beautiful quilts! I would love to know how to make the panel one .

Blog Entries
    how very pretty! you did an awesome job, and I think a strip of grey on the sides would look great! it is your quilt, so you can do it anyway you want... why don't you fold your quilt so only a couple of windows show, then lay your border fabirc aroud the quilt, layering if you need to so you can get a feel for it? that usually helps me.
    I quilt for my sanity!

Wow that is so very awesome.
    Malega K.

Very pretty. I like attic windows.

Great job! It is very 3d! I am sure whatever you decide, it will be great! Kudos!
    ~ Kevin the Quilter ~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast