Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
B&W log cabin opinions needed! >

B&W log cabin opinions needed!

B&W log cabin opinions needed!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 PM

Keep Going!!! its going to be GREAT!! can't wait to see it finished Please do post it
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

In all honesty I don't care for the solid black strip. Otherwise I think it looks great and I would play around with each block to see diffrent designs together. Great blocks.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM

I made a black and white log cabin with some of the same fabrics! I made a king size with the barn raising pattern. Your quilt will look great!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

You can't go wrong, looks great!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 PM

I think it will be AWESOME....hope to see the completed quilt!!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 PM

Take out the "mediums" which would be the giraffe and small floral on white fabrics and replace with lights. As for the solid black, keep it as the outer edge so it creates a secondary pattern (if you want one that draws the eye) or take it out. I've seen a solid used on both sides of the dark corner then the blocks put together with 4 dark corners in the middle to create a sort of star secondary pattern that is awesome. You can hardly go wrong with a log cabin pattern in my opinion. Your quilt will be beautiful. Keep it up!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 PM

I am quite fond of log cabin and B&W I really like your quilt and the choice of red is so nice too.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 AM

Thanks for posting this site with so many ways to put together log cabin pieces. I had no idea log cabins could look so different. The black and white with red sashing would be a great idea here.

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i love your blocks so far. just in case you are interested, here are some google images for different log cabin layouts https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...w=1017&bih=648
Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 AM

Another way to see how the quilt will look is to arrange you 4 blocks on the table. At on corner stand 2 mirrors at right angles to one another. Bob down so you can look straight into place where the mirrors meet and your brain will see a whole quilt. I use 2 square hand bag mirrors kept in the sewing room and is so quick and easy to do. I was shown this trick years ago when I was in the same position as you, new to patchwork and wandering whether to carry on with my blocks or use the material in another pattern. It gives you a good idea of what each placement would look like.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca_S View Post
I think you are doing good! When I look at your blocks and squint, a couple of the fabrics appear to be "mediums", the small floral print in particular. The log cabin block often has higher contrast between the light side and the dark side than what you have. Mediums can be used to good effect. If you want stronger contrast I would add some lighter whites and darker darks to the fabrics you are using but maybe you want low contrast logs.
I agree with Rebecca about the fabrics. You are doing a beautiful job. Sometimes I do test blocks also. The quilt I'm working on now I wanted a Delectable Mountain border and I used a dark black print with a white kona. My DH had me put it next to the center panel and the first words out of his mouth was the white was too glaring. I then redid the blocks with a light gray kona instead of the white and it was perfect. Sometimes it takes letting someone else look at it.

Looking forward to seeing the quilt when it's finished.