Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Quilt- Batting?

Baby Quilt- Batting?

This is for a long tried for and yet unexpected little man who is going to arrive in October.
    My plan is to back it with minky. Should I put batting in or not? The little man will live in Savannah, GA so I don't think he'll need a lot of warmth, but I'm afraid the backing will show through the white without the batting.
    Name:  resize for qb.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  123.9 KB
    Name:  for qb.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  221.6 KB

yel
    Blog Entries
    you could place another layer of white or a light weight flannel in so the back don't show through the white ....i like the way it looks ..keep up the good work

It was really hard for me to make a quilt with no batting. But my granddaughters favorite quilts here in Texas are "batt free". Yel's idea of a flannel middle is a great way to solve your see through problem.
    SheriR~
    December 2.5" Candy Charm Swap
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...p-t254479.html

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

SheriR is there any particular reason why it's hard to make a quilt without batting? I have enough of the white to do another layer, would that work?

Blog Entries
    I would audition your white fabric against the light. If you have flannel, try that too. I don't mean bright sunlight, but just indoor light that would be the way it will be normally viewed.

that is very cute.

Blog Entries
    looks great so far
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by rosalynd View Post
    SheriR is there any particular reason why it's hard to make a quilt without batting? I have enough of the white to do another layer, would that work?
    I'm pretty sure she meant it was mentally difficult, not physically hard to quilt a quilt without batting. Afterall, we're trained up to think of a quilt as a top, batting and a backing. Sometimes it's hard to veer away from what's been drilled into our heads from the start. But as quilters, it's fun to think outside the box to achieve a look or a feel in our quilts.

I know what SheriR means too. My sister loves a very lightweight quilt and I have made her several over the years with the thinnest batting I can find, but I know in my heart that I need to make her one without batting. But somehow I've never been able to make myself do it! I keep getting stuck on the old "it's not really a quilt unless it has all three layers". But I'm going to break out of that rut and make her next quilt without batting.

Coming along great!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

When I encountered that problem and thought the back (minky) would show through, I put a layer of flannel in between and it worked out fine and did not make it to warm.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast