Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bargello Fabric

Hi Everyone.
    I want to embark on making a Bargello Quilt,
    and these are the fabrics I have chosen.
    Please let me know what you think.
    Regards Marlene.
    Bendigo Vic
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Having not done a bargello, take this opinion for what it is worth....I like your fabrics, but I think I would change the order.

I'm making my first bargello too! I struggled for days with the order of my fabric. Still not sure I got it right, but it's all sewn together so I'm forging ahead. Love your fabric colors. I, too, would probably change the order of your fabric (but it's totally your choice). Bargellos typically are designed with the idea of a graduation of color values from one to the next. So, I would try going from the pinks to the purples to the blues and then see where you want that pop of color with the green, yellow and orange. If you want the striking contrast from one color the next, go with it. In the end, it will be beautiful either way and it has to be what you want. Hope you'll post your progress!

I have only done 1 bargello, but I think from what I have seen that you need to have more contrast in value of fabric. I looks like most of yours are medium value and I think you would need lights and darks also to get the effect.

I downloaded your image and created this "mock" photo of how this will look in the order you have laid out. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

it may depend on your pattern also. Take a photo in black and white and check on the contrast of the fabrics.

The fabrics will definitely play with each other nicely, but do need to be re-arranged. Nice selection of solids and prints and the prints have good segue's to the next fabric.

Have you chosen a pattern yet or are you making your own?

I agree. Your colors are fabulous but it seems you need more contrast. They seem to be mostly the same value.

Nancy , what a great feature you have , to be able to do that.

the fabrics are beautiful but seem to be all medium values-
    try printing in grayscale- to see the contrast across the fabrics- it makes it easier to get them in the correct order- and you can see where it all just blends together- without contrast.
    it is hard sometimes to get a good (flow) from light to dark- seems most of us tend to have alot of medium.
    maybe you could just add a couple more fabrics- and do some rearranging--the grayscale picture really helps get them in the right order.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast